Adding rows to database table thro ASP

vasanth kumar

Hi,
I want to add a row to library table. Table has total 7 fields. But I
want to create the new row with 5 field data. When I run the following query
in MS Access
strQ = "INSERT into library (index,title,author,itemtype,createdate) VALUES
('B-096','Hihihihihi','hello','Book','07/18/04')"
It successfully adds the row. But same thing I am trying with the following
ASP code. It gives error, saying syntax error in INSERT into statement.

Can anybody suggest me, what is wrong in my code below. Any help is
appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Vasanth
-----------------------------
<%
option explicit
Response.ExpiresAbsolute = "January 1, 2003"
Dim path, mdbFilePath, sPos, objConnect, objRst, strQ, x
for each x in Request.Form
execute x & "="""&Request(x)&""""
next
path = Request.ServerVariables("PATH_TRANSLATED")
sPos = InStr(path, "library\newupdate.asp")
if sPos = 0 then
sPos = InStr(path, "library/newupdate.asp")
end if
mdbFilePath = Left(path, sPos-1) & "library.mdb"
Set objConnect = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
objConnect.Open "Provider=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;Data Source=" &
mdbFilePath & ";"
Set objRst = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")
Set objRst.ActiveConnection = objConnect
'strQ = "INSERT into library (index,title,author,itemtype,createdate) VALUES
('"&session("index")&"','"&title&"','"&author&"','"&session("itemtype")&"','
"&date&"')"
strQ = "INSERT into library (index,title,author,itemtype,createdate) VALUES
('B-096','Hihihihihi','hello','Book','07/18/04')"
objRst.Open strQ
Set objRst = nothing
objConnect.Close
Set objConnect = nothing
%>
<head>
<title>
</title>
</head>
Library Item, <%=session("index")%> has been created on <%=date%>.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

You (and we) cannot debug your sql statement without knowing what it is. Put
a Response.Write strQ statement into your code so you can see the sql
statement being generated by your code. Usually, seeing the resulting sql
statement will highlight where your error is, because you know what it's
supposed to look like. If not, show it to us.

Incidently, your query does not return any records, so there is absolutely
no reason in the world to waste resources and CPU by creating and using a
recordset object to run this query. A simple

objConnect.Execute strQ,,129

will suffice.

Bob Barrows

PS. The only relevant newsgroup for this question was .asp.db. You really
did not have to crosspost it to .general, and .components is definitely
off-topic.