Adjusting the Design Time output of control derived from a TextBox

mc

I have developed a custom control that derives from a TextBox, During
the controls OnInit method I have hard coded the TextMode to MultiLine,
however when the control is rendered at design time it only ever renders
as a single line Text Box, Is there a simple solution to this or do I
need to handle the design time rendering of the control myself?

TIA

MC

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi MC,

As for the design-time output of webcontrol, it can be controlled by a
custom controldesigner. And for your scenario, you can override the
"GetDesignTimeHtml" method of the control designer and always return html
<textarea> markup. Here is a simple test control demonstrate this:

===================================
namespace WebControlLib
{
[DefaultProperty("Text")]
[ToolboxData("<{0}:MyTextBox runat=server></{0}:MyTextBox>")]
[Designer(typeof(MyTextBoxDesigner))]
public class MyTextBox : TextBox
{
[Obsolete("not used...", true)]
public new TextBoxMode TextMode
{
get
{
return TextBoxMode.MultiLine;

public class MyTextBoxDesigner : ControlDesigner
{
private MyTextBox _tb = null;

public override void Initialize(IComponent component)
{
_tb = (MyTextBox)component;

base.Initialize(component);
}
public override string GetDesignTimeHtml()
{
string temp= "<textarea>{0}</textarea>";

return string.Format(temp, _tb.Text);

==================================

Hope this helps.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi MC,

Does the suggestion in my last reply helps you a little? if you have any
further questions on this, please feel free to let me know.

Steven said:
Hi MC,

Does the suggestion in my last reply helps you a little? if you have any
further questions on this, please feel free to let me know.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

Yes, all makes sense, however I've been diverted onto another more
important task, and I've not had time to evaluate your suggestions

Thanks

MC

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Thanks for your followup.

Please feel free to focus on your current work. And you're welcome to post
here when you have time to continue work on this issue.

Wish you good luck!