Advantages of Swing / J2EE App vs. Terminal Based App

John

I am in the process of developing an application in Swing / J2EE as an
alternative to an application that is terminal based (like Edit in
MS-DOS etc).

I am aware of the benefits intuitively, but would be interested to see
if anyone has material that makes an objective case for a swing based UI
vs terminal based.

John

Betty

John said:
I am in the process of developing an application in Swing / J2EE as an
alternative to an application that is terminal based (like Edit in
MS-DOS etc).

I am aware of the benefits intuitively, but would be interested to see
if anyone has material that makes an objective case for a swing based UI
vs terminal based.

John

Do you sell hardware too? ;-)

Thomas Weidenfeller

John said:
I am aware of the benefits intuitively, but would be interested to see
if anyone has material that makes an objective case for a swing based UI
vs terminal based.

Swing is part of J2SE. However, the terminal I/O capabilities of Java
are so bad that you can't do anything more complex than scrolling
pick-a-number user interfaces without platform-specific 3pp libraries.

/Thomas