AJAX calls drive IE out of memory

kidalex

So, I have a summary page of some stuff that gets updated through AJAX
calls back to the server every 15 seconds or so. However, if you leave
that page up for a few hours - it'll slow down the computer and
eventually crash it with the following message:

"Internet Explorer: out of memory on line..."

I know AJAX got some memory leaks problems but this is not that much
stuff that gets refershed ( a few table rows ).

What can be done to get rid of this problem?

Alex

David Mark

So, I have a summary page of some stuff that gets updated through AJAX
calls back to the server every 15 seconds or so. However, if you leave
that page up for a few hours - it'll slow down the computer and
eventually crash it with the following message:

"Internet Explorer: out of memory on line..."

I know AJAX got some memory leaks problems but this is not that much
stuff that gets refershed ( a few table rows ).

It is likely that you are creating circular references involving
request objects. Just a guess as you forgot to post your code.
What can be done to get rid of this problem?

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/closures.html#clMem

dhtml

LOL.  Worth every penny apparently!

The problem may or may not be the 'YUI AJAX tool' (whatever that is).
The OP provided no code whatsoever.

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_4

That FAQ entry should probably also state:
| Post a reduced code example, wrapped at 72 chars.

Don't be so quick to blame others' code or IE without examination.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <94550e0c-d7e4-4a8b-a445-a37bf8ad8687@a3
g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, Thu, 7 Aug 2008 17:22:04, dhtml
http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#FAQ2_4

That FAQ entry should probably also state:
| Post a reduced code example, wrapped at 72 chars.

", tested, " should follow "reduced". And "wrapped at 72 chars" is bad.

The code should preferably be reduced, manually brought within about 72
characters, tested, and posted - in that order.

If the code has lines somewhat longer than about 72 characters, and they
are posted and transmitted unbroken, that's OK; any respectable
newsreader will be able to show them as such, and copying should not
include any wrapping-for-display.

It is pasting long-line code into posting agents that wrap it which
needs to be avoided. A well-designed posting agent should have two
forms of paste, corresponding to normal HTML <div> (for paragraph text)
and <pre> (for code, tables, ASCII diagrams, etc.) respectively.

A respectable newsreader should be able to treat this as a single line or break it, selectable at viewing time by the reader.