Ajax on Windows Mobile 6

Daniel

Hi,

I downloaded the sample application that the Microsoft video
ASPNETAJAXForWinMobile described but it doesn't work on my Windows Mobile 6
emulator. After enabling the script error reporting of the mobile IE, it pops
up several JScript error and the ajax behavior is not funtional at all.
Where can I look for any possible issue?

Thanks.

Daniel

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Daniel,

Are you using the following code?
http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/c/9/2c94e6e4-478c-4853-92b0-2a7f6c4
b6b60/CS-Devices-AspNetAjaxForWinMobile_cs.zip

I've tested it on my side. It works fine. When you run it in IE can you see
the JS errors?

If it still doesn't work please tell me the error description.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

(e-mail address removed).

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us.

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: Ajax on Windows Mobile 6
| Date: Sun, 19 Oct 2008 20:01:03 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi,
|
| I downloaded the sample application that the Microsoft video
| ASPNETAJAXForWinMobile described but it doesn't work on my Windows Mobile
6
| emulator. After enabling the script error reporting of the mobile IE, it
pops
| up several JScript error and the ajax behavior is not funtional at all.
| Where can I look for any possible issue?
|
| Thanks.
|
| Daniel

Daniel

Thanks Allen,

It's still not working properly at my side. Most of the time, selecting the
items in the combo box doesn't produce any feedback in the upper lable and
sometimes after clicking the button, it pops up with error
Line 5 Character:9340
Error: '__EVENTTARGET is null or not an object
Source:(null)
Please help investigate. Thanks!

Daniel

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the information. To investigate this issue, firstly, could you
confirm that you're using the same code as mine?

Quote from Daniel ==================================================
Most of the time, selecting the
items in the combo box doesn't produce any feedback in the upper lable

Sometimes when the server is busy we need to wait several seconds to see
the update of the page. Could you double check it to make sure there's no
update?

Quote from Daniel ==================================================
sometimes after clicking the button, it pops up with error
Line 5 Character:9340
Error: '__EVENTTARGET is null or not an object
Source:(null)
Please help investigate. Thanks!
Quote ==================================================

Does it happen only when using the emulator? When you use IE to view the
page will you see the same error?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Ajax on Windows Mobile 6
| Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:04:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Thanks Allen,
|
| It's still not working properly at my side. Most of the time, selecting
the
| items in the combo box doesn't produce any feedback in the upper lable
and
| sometimes after clicking the button, it pops up with error
| Line 5 Character:9340
| Error: '__EVENTTARGET is null or not an object
| Source:(null)
| Please help investigate. Thanks!
|

| Daniel

Daniel

Hi Allen,

Yes, I'm using the exact same bit of code as your url.
Sometime the label does get updated but most of the time, no response for at
least dozens of seconds.
I only have the enulator and the error doesn't happen all the time. Looks
like after I have clicked other controls then come to the button, the error
comes.
In desktop IE, everything works fine.

Many thanks.

Daniel

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Daniel,

Thanks for the clarification. However, I spent couple of hours trying to
repro it on my side but could not see the behavior as you described. My
environment is:

" Windows XP SP2 (one machine as the server and running the Windows Mobile
Emulator)
" IIS 5.1
" ASP.NET 2.0.50727
" Tested on both Windows Mobile 6 Standard Emulator and Windows Mobile 6
Professional Emulator

Could you provide your environment so that I can try to set up the same one
to repro?

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Ajax on Windows Mobile 6
| Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 21:21:00 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Allen,
|
| Yes, I'm using the exact same bit of code as your url.
| Sometime the label does get updated but most of the time, no response for
at
| least dozens of seconds.
| I only have the enulator and the error doesn't happen all the time. Looks
| like after I have clicked other controls then come to the button, the
error
| comes.
| In desktop IE, everything works fine.
|
| Many thanks.
|
| Daniel
|

| "Allen Chen [MSFT]" wrote:
|
| > Hi Daniel,
| >
| > Thanks for the information. To investigate this issue, firstly, could
you
| > confirm that you're using the same code as mine?

http://download.microsoft.com/download/2/c/9/2c94e6e4-478c-4853-92b0-2a7f6c4
| > b6b60/CS-Devices-AspNetAjaxForWinMobile_cs.zip
| >
| > Quote from Daniel ==================================================
| > Most of the time, selecting the
| > items in the combo box doesn't produce any feedback in the upper lable
| > ==================================================
| >
| > Sometimes when the server is busy we need to wait several seconds to
see
| > the update of the page. Could you double check it to make sure there's
no
| > update?
| >
| > Quote from Daniel ==================================================
| > sometimes after clicking the button, it pops up with error
| > Line 5 Character:9340
| > Error: '__EVENTTARGET is null or not an object
| > Source:(null)
| > Please help investigate. Thanks!
| > Quote ==================================================
| >
| > Does it happen only when using the emulator? When you use IE to view
the
| > page will you see the same error?
| >
| > Regards,
| > Allen Chen
| > Microsoft Online Support
| >
| > --------------------
| > | From: =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= <[email protected]>
| > | Subject: RE: Ajax on Windows Mobile 6
| > | Date: Mon, 20 Oct 2008 19:04:01 -0700
| > | Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
| > |
| > | Thanks Allen,
| > |
| > | It's still not working properly at my side. Most of the time,
selecting
| > the
| > | items in the combo box doesn't produce any feedback in the upper
lable
| > and
| > | sometimes after clicking the button, it pops up with error
| > | Line 5 Character:9340
| > | Error: '__EVENTTARGET is null or not an object
| > | Source:(null)
| > | Please help investigate. Thanks!
| > |
| > |
| > | Daniel
| > |
| > |

Daniel

Hi Allen,

I'm working on the same environment as yours except I'm SP3. After attaching
Visual Studio to the ASPNET working process, I found that sometimes the
client click will not trigger the server code. It looks like the client
postback doesn't occur or doesn't make to the server side.

Thanks.

Daniel

Allen Chen [MSFT]

Hi Daniel,

I still cannot reproduce this problem on my side. I would suggest you
contact CSS for incident based support:

http://support.microsoft.com/select/default.aspx?target=assistance&ln=en-us

Our dedicated support engineer will work with you to investigate this issue.

Regards,
Allen Chen
Microsoft Online Support

--------------------
| From: =?Utf-8?B?RGFuaWVs?= <[email protected]>
| Subject: RE: Ajax on Windows Mobile 6
| Date: Tue, 21 Oct 2008 01:50:01 -0700
| Newsgroups: microsoft.public.dotnet.framework.aspnet
|
| Hi Allen,
|
| I'm working on the same environment as yours except I'm SP3. After
attaching
| Visual Studio to the ASPNET working process, I found that sometimes the
| client click will not trigger the server code. It looks like the client
| postback doesn't occur or doesn't make to the server side.
|
| Thanks.
|
| Daniel

me

Hello,

I get the same error message

"Line 5 Character:9340
Error: '__EVENTTARGET is null or not an object
Source:(null)"

with

Microsoft Device Emulator, Windows Mobile 6.1.

Server: .NET Framework 3.5 SP1

I hadn't this error with .NET Framework 2.0. Therefore I conclude that
ASP.NET AJAX has changed from version 2.0 to 3.5 SP1 and now this error
occurs with IEMobile.

I seems that sometimes no Ajax calls are send to the server on button clicks
or dropdown onchange events respective that the callback is not computed and
the partial page rendering is not performed.