Response.TransmitFile - Windows Mobile 6.0

Woodgnome

Hi,

I have use the following code to transmit a file back to the browser that
worked fine on a HTC_TTyN device running windows mobile 5.0. The code
executes in the onclick event of a mobilelist control. Now on a similar
device running window mobile 6.0 the file is not displayed - the link causes
a post back succesfully and the code appears to execute - on the browser a
bar is displayed breifely at the bottom of the window (although ist show 0KB
to the right of the bar.) - seaming to indciate that a file is being
transferred but the file save option (or the file) does not appear.

Does any one have any ideas why this is not working ? I suspect it may be
something that is specific to the HCT_TTyn devcie as we have identifed a
separate issue where the browser capabilities where not being detected
correctly - this was due to the fact that the useragent string was being
prefixed with 'HCT_TTyn ' - to work around this we have defined a new
htctty.browser file and registered it with asp.net which seams to have solved
all the problems we were having - apart from this file transfer issue.

protected bool SendFile(string filePath)
{
string fileName = System.IO.Path.GetFileName(filePath);
if ((fileName != "") && (System.IO.File.Exists(filePath)))
{
try
{
Response.Clear();
Response.ClearHeaders();
Response.ClearContent();
Response.ContentType = "application/octet-stream";
Response.AddHeader("content-disposition", @"attachment;
filename=""" + fileName + @"""");
Response.AddHeader("content-length", new
System.IO.FileInfo(filePath).Length.ToString());
Response.TransmitFile(filePath);
Response.Flush();
Response.End();
Response.Close();
return true;
}
catch
{
return false;
else
return false;

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Woodgnome,

As for the file downloading issue you mentioned, I think your analysis is
reasonable. for mobile or smart device requests, the http useragent is the
default evidence of the device and ASP.NET runtime will probably respond
quite different due to it.

I think you can make some simple tests to verify the behavior. You can use
some .NET winform client application to send http request(with the
useragent set to the same value as your smart device), if the response (you
can view it through some network trace tool or directly get it through
network component such as HttpWebRequest) still give the same problem
result, the problem should be caused by the device's useragent. And for
such case, I think customize the server application's browser/device
detection setting should be the reasonable method.

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

ications.