AJAX UpdatePanel does not refresh after calling Update()-Method

Michael Schöller

Hi,

I'm new to AJAX and has a little Problem to get an UpdatePanel inside an
CustomServerControl to work.
My goal is to create an CustomServerControl with an (at designtime)
unknown number of UpdatePanels, that can be updated seperatly.
Since I'm stuck I create a litte more static testproject to analyse the
problem but I ran out of ideas what I could been missing.
I would be realy glad if someone can show me hwo to get the UpdatePanels
working.

I created an ServerControl-Project called ServerControlTest and an ASP
WebApplication called AXAJTest
The Default.asxp looks like:
--------------------------
CodeBehind="Default.aspx.cs" Inherits="AJAXTest._Default" %>

<%@ Register assembly="ServerControlTest" namespace="ServerControlTest"
tagprefix="cc1" %>

<head runat="server">
<title></title>
</head>
<form id="form1" runat="server">
<asp:ScriptManager ID="ScriptManager1" runat="server">
</asp:ScriptManager>

<asp:UpdatePanel ID="UpdatePanel1" runat="server">
<ContentTemplate>
<asp:Timer ID="Timer1" runat="server" Interval="1000"
ontick="Timer1_Tick">
</asp:Timer>
<asp:Label ID="Label1" runat="server"
Text="Label"></asp:Label>
</ContentTemplate>
</asp:UpdatePanel>

<cc1:ServerControl1 ID="ServerControl11" runat="server" />
</form>
---------------------
Code Behind looks like:
using System;

namespace AJAXTest
if(!IsPostBack)
{
ServerControl11.Text1 = DateTime.Now.ToString();
ServerControl11.Text2 = DateTime.Now.AddDays(1D).ToString();

protected void Timer1_Tick(object sender, EventArgs e)
{
Label1.Text = DateTime.Now.ToString();
ServerControl11.Text1 = DateTime.Now.ToString();
ServerControl11.Text2 = DateTime.Now.AddDays(1D).ToString();

ServerControl11.TestPanel1.Update();
The class ServerControl1 in ServerControlTest looks like this:
using System;
using System.ComponentModel;
using System.Web.UI;
using System.Web.UI.WebControls;

namespace ServerControlTest
{
[DefaultProperty("Text")]
[ToolboxData("<{0}:ServerControl1 runat=server></{0}:ServerControl1>")]
public class ServerControl1 : WebControl
{
private UpdatePanel _testPanel1;
private UpdatePanel _testPanel2;

public UpdatePanel TestPanel1 { get { return _testPanel1; } }
public UpdatePanel TestPanel2 { get { return _testPanel2; } }

[Bindable(true)]
[Category("Appearance")]
[DefaultValue("")]
[Localizable(true)]
public string Text1
{
get
{
String s = (String)ViewState["Text1"];
return (s ?? string.Empty);
}

set
{
ViewState["Text1"] = value;

[Bindable(true)]
[Category("Appearance")]
[DefaultValue("")]
[Localizable(true)]
public string Text2
{
get
{
String s = (String)ViewState["Text1"];
return (s ?? string.Empty);
}

set
{
ViewState["Text2"] = value;

base.OnInit(e);
_testPanel1 = new UpdatePanel
{
ID = this.ID + this.IdSeparator + "UpdatePanel1",
UpdateMode = UpdatePanelUpdateMode.Conditional,
ChildrenAsTriggers = false,
Page = this.Page
};
_testPanel2 = new UpdatePanel
{
ID = this.ID + this.IdSeparator + "UpdatePanel2",
UpdateMode = UpdatePanelUpdateMode.Conditional,
ChildrenAsTriggers = false,
Page = this.Page
};
}

protected override void RenderContents(HtmlTextWriter output)
{
Label label1 = new Label {ID = this.ID + this.IdSeparator +
"Label1", Text = Text1};
Label label2 = new Label {ID = this.ID + this.IdSeparator +
"Label2", Text = Text2};
_testPanel1.ContentTemplateContainer.Controls.Add(label1);
_testPanel2.ContentTemplateContainer.Controls.Add(label2);
_testPanel1.RenderControl(output);
_testPanel2.RenderControl(output);

Michael Schöller

Hi,

I found a solution myself.
There are 3 things that must be changed.
1) The UpdatePanels has to be declares in the PageLoad-Event and added
to the Controls-Container.
2) The Label-Controls has to be declared in the PageLoad-Event and added
to the updatePanel
3) The Text-Property of the Label Control has to be set in the
OnPreRenderContent-Event.

After that changes all works fine.

Regards
Michael