ajax way to do frames

Andy

Hi,

I have an external xhtml set of pages served from a database that have
css and images etc, which I do not have much control over. I assume
that if I want to embed in my web pages, I have to put them in frames,
so that their css and images don't conflict with the base page that I
do have control over. True?

My question is: assuming that I use frames, what is the best Ajax way
of doing it?

Andy

Erwin Moller

Andy schreef:
Hi,

I have an external xhtml set of pages served from a database that have
css and images etc, which I do not have much control over. I assume
that if I want to embed in my web pages, I have to put them in frames,
so that their css and images don't conflict with the base page that I
do have control over. True?

Possibly yes.
My question is: assuming that I use frames, what is the best Ajax way
of doing it?

What has Ajax have to do with frames?
Ajax is about fetching data without a page-reload.

I am not sure what it is you are asking.

Regards,
Erwin Moller

-- C.A.R. Hoare

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Andy said:
I have an external xhtml set of pages served from a database that have
css and images etc, which I do not have much control over. I assume
that if I want to embed in my web pages, I have to put them in frames,
so that their css and images don't conflict with the base page that I
do have control over. True?

That depends on what you consider an "xhtml set of pages" (did you mean "set
of XHTML documents"?), in particular, on what is meant by "page" here.

If a "page" is a complete (X)HTML document that imports its own stylesheets,
then you need to load it in an (i)frame so that it works in the first place
(except if the document expects them to be at your site).

If it is instead an (X)HTML fragment, then you need to use DOM scripting to
get it and to insert it into your document, preferably as content of an
element which ID you have control over. Then you can format the content of
that element, which is the imported (X)HTML fragment, based on its ID (using
contextual selectors).
My question is: assuming that I use frames, what is the best Ajax way
of doing it?

None.

PointedEars

JR

Hello,
It's a kind of mash-up or dashboard you want to develop, isn't it? I
think the simplest way to do that is placing iframes in your page,
each one pointing to a different page (iframe's src attribute).

If you don't need to update each iframe separately, then you won't
need Ajax at all. Even if you need to update the iframes, you could do
that with meta tag (<Meta HTTP-EQUIV="Refresh" content=1>) defined in
every source page, refreshing them in time intervals, although this
could drain the web server resources in the case of many simultaneous
users. But if you need to update certain iframes, thus you might use
Ajax - but wait... Ajax works only if all pages come from the same
domain. Actually there's a workaround for this restriction but it's
off-topic here.

HTH.

Joao Rodrigues

Andy

It's a kind of mash-up or dashboard you want to develop, isn't it? I
think the simplest way to do that is placing iframes in your page,
each one pointing to a different page (iframe's src attribute).

Hi guys. Yes its a mashup. And my frame for the external source
requires that I split up my page into a frameset. Call the external
source frame "ext". The root page will have other frames with ajax
widgets. One problem that I'm running into is the concern that the
"ext" data returned by the server might set a cookie. From what I can
see from googling, this cookie won't be visible in the other frames.
How can I let my "ext" source set state/cookie values that affect the
way the other frames operate?

Andy