    there that can support upwards of 10 000 requests per day? Our environment
    is Solaris and Linux-based, and our portals are simple two-tier webapps.

    Thanks.

    Peter Davies, Oct 18, 2005

  2. You forgot to mention a price range.

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 18, 2005

  3. Peter Davies

    Peter Davies Guest

    Point. Our shop is open-source based, but it can stretch quite a distance
    if the motivation for commercial software is there. I'm more interested in
    usability, performance and support - someone else can haggle over the
    price.

    Peter Davies, Oct 18, 2005
  4. Peter Davies

    Roedy Green Guest

    for a list of possibilities, see
    http://mindprod.com/jgloss/servletwomb.html

    Roedy Green, Oct 18, 2005
  5. Peter Davies wrote:

    (high volume server)
    'All prices considered at this stage'. Cool.

    I notice Roedy has given you some possibilities 'in that range'. ;-)

    Andrew Thompson, Oct 18, 2005
  6. Peter Davies

    Luke Webber Guest

    Can you give us more information on why Tomcat isn't cutting it? I ask
    from interest, because I have sites running Tomcat, wome of which must
    be getting similar traffic, and I haven't seen any problems. Admittedly,
    I don't think any of them is running version 5 of Tomcat, but the
    busiest one is running version 4 on a single Sun box.

    Cheers,
    Luke

    Luke Webber, Oct 18, 2005
  7. Peter Davies

    Roedy Green Guest

    What he might be hinting at is that you need some information on
    tuning tomcat.

    Roedy Green, Oct 18, 2005
  8. Peter Davies

    Ross Bamford Guest

    IMHO Jetty would be more than adequate for your needs.

    http://jetty.mortbay.org/

    Ross Bamford, Oct 18, 2005
  9. Peter Davies

    gerrards8 Guest

    Caucho's Resin (http://www.caucho.com)

    gerrards8, Oct 18, 2005
  10. Peter Davies

    Luke Webber Guest

    For 10,000 requests per day? Even if we take that as an 8-hour business
    day, that's still only one request every three seconds. Tomcat should
    have no trouble with that sort of load, Shirley?

    I dunno. I suspect it's not Tomcat causing the problems here. It may
    well be a simple case of bad design in the webapp or the database.

    Luke

    Luke Webber, Oct 18, 2005
  11. Peter Davies

    . Guest

    - JBoss 3.2 or 4.0
    - Bea WebLogic 8.1 or 9.0
    - IBM WebSphere 5.0, 5.1 or 6.0
    - Oracle AS 9i or 10g
    - ATG Dynamo 6.3, 6.4 or 7.0
    - SAP Web App Server 6.2 or 6.4
    - Caucho Resin
    - JRun 4.0

    I think that pretty much covers the field. If you are going to spend money
    WebLogic, WebSphere and Oracle are the higher priced app servers. If you
    are looking for something better than Tomcat I'd think these are hugely
    overpowered for your needs.

    I kind of like JBoss. The price is the same as Tomcat. If you pick JBoss
    pick a release and stick with it. I found that each revision has a
    different set of quirks that you have to overcome but once you get
    something working it works quite well; just don't upgrade the server.

    ., Oct 18, 2005
  12. You forgot (at least) Jetty and Orion.

    HT

    Henry Townsend, Oct 18, 2005
  13. Peter Davies

    Bryce Guest

    Except that JBoss uses Tomcat (by default) for JSP/Servlets.

    Bryce, Oct 18, 2005
  14. Peter Davies

    Roedy Green Guest

    Roedy Green, Oct 18, 2005
  15. Peter Davies

    oopsatwork Guest

    I've got some bad news for you...Tomcat isn't your problem. You need
    to take a look at the performance of your apps. I have run Tomcat 5 on
    a very high volume set of applications (several multiples of the load
    that you describe) without difficulty. I think you should spend your
    time profiling your applications (something that is not given nearly
    enough attention by most developers and groups).

    Mind you, the strength of the machine you are on could play a role here
    too...we like to believe that resources are never ending on modern
    boxes, but this simply isn't the case. A little bit of bad code (we
    all have it) can cause a lot of problems.

    oopsatwork, Oct 19, 2005
  16. Peter Davies

    . Guest

    True but I have found JBoss to be more robust. I have written apps and
    load tested them on JBoss. Once I find the settings for my tool that will
    overload the app, I deploy it on Tomcat and run the same tests. Tomcat
    tends to die before the app. I have to dial down the load to make Tomcat
    not crash.

    ., Oct 20, 2005
  17. Peter Davies

    Roedy Green Guest

    There is a belief that you should push all your concerns about
    performance to the last minute. That just makes them all the harder
    to correct. Performance should be a concern at every stage so that
    you don't end up having to redo everything in a totally different way.

    The silliness that Knuth warns about is FINE TUNING the optimisation
    where it does not need it, or before things have not settled
    sufficiently.

    He is not recommending postponing performance considerations when
    designing data structures or basic algorithms which are hard to change
    later.

    Roedy Green, Oct 21, 2005
  18. Peter Davies

    Chad Guest

    We easily run over 100,000 transactions per day with a WebSphere server
    (< 1% CPU usage) but I think that Tomcat should be able to handle that
    kind of volume as well. You might want to check for other problems
    such as memory leaks, database locks, etc.

    Chad, Oct 22, 2005
  19. Peter Davies

    Larry Coon Guest

    Larry Coon, Oct 24, 2005
  20. Peter Davies

    Roedy Green Guest

    Thanks, now added. I learned my SQL on Sybase. I remember being so
    blown away at how fast it was given all the fooling around I knew it
    had to do to analyse my queries and all the futzing getting info in
    and out of SQL.

    Roedy Green, Oct 25, 2005