Am not seeing images on certain pages with Firefox

Lewis

In message said:
I'd go further and restate Gene's position as, "Don't upgrade *anything*
unless you have a *very* good reason for it."

This is terrible advice for anything like a web browser. Update early.
Update Often. *ALWAYS* update. Anything else is not jsut stupid, but
dangerous.

Neil Gould

Lewis said:
This is terrible advice for anything like a web browser. Update early.
Update Often. *ALWAYS* update. Anything else is not jsut stupid, but
dangerous.
Following your advice is a great way to guarantee that you'll be
unproductive. Most of the difficulties I've run into over the decades are
"upgrades" that broke my workflow. FF's "major release per month" that
breaks the developer tool set and shuffles the UI such that one spends more
time figuring out where the controls are now is a good example of this.

I am not the least bit concerned about browser exploits because I have my
system -- which is more than just the computer running the browser -- set to
prevent exploits from doing undetected things to my computers. YMMV.

Jonathan N. Little

Neil said:
Following your advice is a great way to guarantee that you'll be
unproductive. Most of the difficulties I've run into over the decades are
"upgrades" that broke my workflow. FF's "major release per month" that
breaks the developer tool set and shuffles the UI such that one spends more
time figuring out where the controls are now is a good example of this.

I haven't seen that with Firebug and Web Developers Bar since the
pre-4.x days...
I am not the least bit concerned about browser exploits because I have my
system -- which is more than just the computer running the browser -- set to
prevent exploits from doing undetected things to my computers. YMMV.

Well, I keep getting phishing emails from others less savvy.

Neil Gould

Jonathan said:
Well, I keep getting phishing emails from others less savvy.
There's not much that will prevent phishing emails, since they aren't
browser or mail client exploits. But, as long as the DELETE key works, they
aren't much of a problem.

Jonathan N. Little

Neil said:
There's not much that will prevent phishing emails, since they aren't
browser or mail client exploits. But, as long as the DELETE key works, they
aren't much of a problem.

True, but since the advent of webmail where users access mail with more
permissive web browsers than email clients where XSS, iframe injection
and offsite content become exploitable.

Neil Gould

Jonathan said:
True, but since the advent of webmail where users access mail with
more permissive web browsers than email clients where XSS, iframe
injection and offsite content become exploitable.
It's only exploitable if people use those technologies without understanding
how to protect their system from such exploits. I would *NEVER* rely on a
browser to provide the necessary security, so it doesn't matter to me
whether the browser is secure or not.

That said, the least secure computer-based browser is far more secure than
the most secure smart phone, so I'd think that anybody who is serious about
phishing will stop wasting their time trying to exploit desktop systems.

Jonathan N. Little

Neil said:
Jonathan N. Little wrote:
It's only exploitable if people use those technologies without understanding
how to protect their system from such exploits. I would *NEVER* rely on a
browser to provide the necessary security, so it doesn't matter to me
whether the browser is secure or not.

I believe you, but unfortunately unlike you or me many|most people this
is not the case.
That said, the least secure computer-based browser is far more secure than
the most secure smart phone, so I'd think that anybody who is serious about
phishing will stop wasting their time trying to exploit desktop systems.

I don't think it is an either|or type of thing. It smart phones are just
an additional avenue to exploit. Next as well is entertainment
devices...already with PS3, Xbox ... and maybe your Blu-Ray?

Neil Gould

Jonathan said:
I believe you, but unfortunately unlike you or me many|most people
this is not the case.
Many | most people have little to gain by reading a newsgroup for computer
programming, and can probably create more problems for themselves by acting
on things they don't understand.
I don't think it is an either|or type of thing. It smart phones are
just an additional avenue to exploit. Next as well is entertainment
devices...already with PS3, Xbox ... and maybe your Blu-Ray?
We're dancing around the primary issue: the primary exploitable element is
the user.

Jonathan N. Little

Neil said:
Many | most people have little to gain by reading a newsgroup for computer
programming, and can probably create more problems for themselves by acting
on things they don't understand.

We're dancing around the primary issue: the primary exploitable element is
the user.

Still not contrary to the general best advice to apply updates to
browser when they are issued.

Lewis

In message said:
That said, the least secure computer-based browser is far more secure than
the most secure smart phone,

No, that's not correct *at all*.

Most secure Android phone, that I'll give you. iPhones and Blackberries
are quiet secure.