an interesting CGI problem

kz

Hi group,

Apologies if this is a faq, 1 hour googling gave nothing, therefore my
posting.

Given the simplest possible CGI script from any CGI tutorial:

print "Content-Type: text/html\n\n";
print "$_ = ".$ENV{$_}."<BR>\n" foreach (sort keys %ENV);

Saved under the name env.cgi in my cgi-bin folder.

If I point my browser to http://myserver.com/cgi-bin/env.cgi it offers me to
download env.cgi with an unknown file type.

If I rename this cgi script to e.g. blabla.cgi and point my browser to it, I
receive the results I've expected.

Running NT 4, Perl 5.6.1 build 631 of ActiveState and Xitami web server from
www.imatix.com.

Can this be a webserver-specific issue? Has anyone seen this elsewhere:
other platforms, other webservers?

Thanks and best regards,

KZ

Matt Garrish

kz said:
If I point my browser to http://myserver.com/cgi-bin/env.cgi it offers me to
download env.cgi with an unknown file type.

If I rename this cgi script to e.g. blabla.cgi and point my browser to it, I
receive the results I've expected.

Running NT 4, Perl 5.6.1 build 631 of ActiveState and Xitami web server from
www.imatix.com.

Can this be a webserver-specific issue? Has anyone seen this elsewhere:
other platforms, other webservers?

It certainly isn't a Perl issue. A complete and total guess would be that
there is a built-in script in the web server that you can call to find out
your environment, and it's overriding your script. But if you want to know
for sure you should probably ask the kind people at imatix.com.

Matt