Android LAN access problem

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

If you expect "hostname" to always be resolvable - just "hostname" - you
(a) don't understand how DNS works, and (b) are setting yourself up for
disappointment.

If you want to make Android play nice with WINDOWS NETWORKING/NETBIOS,
use CIFS.

If you want your Android device to do NetBIOS-style name resolution
(which, by the way, is a Microsoft invention), use CIFS.

CIFS works on Windows, it works on Linux, and there is no reason it
shouldn't work on Android (as far as I know).

I don't see why this is so hard to understand. And you keep on
complaining, and it's been at least a week or two since I offered a
solution.

I know - I'm looking at jcifs
This is NOT AN ANDROID PROBLEM.

This is NOT A JAVA PROBLEM.

I would say that it *is* an Android problem if they want to interface
easily with home networks.
Otherwise I would not be having to find add-on packages to do what their
SDK cannot.

Lew

I know - I'm looking at jcifs

I would say that it *is* an Android problem if they want to interface
easily with home networks.
Otherwise I would not be having to find add-on packages to do what their
SDK cannot.

Muammar Qaddafi requires his people to live in poverty and
oppression. They don't want to, but they need an add-on package of
U.N. air support to fulfill their goals. This is not their fault; the
Qaddafi/Microsoft hegemony has caused the environment, not the
peaceful Java/Android/Libyan common folk.

What do you care whose fault it is? You've had the answer for weeks.
Microsoft doesn't follow the standard the rest of the world uses; you
need a library to interact with their proprietary interface. The
library exists, it's readily available and it's free of charge. BFD.
Why does that bother you so much?

Chill the frak out.

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Muammar Qaddafi requires his people to live in poverty and
oppression. They don't want to, but they need an add-on package of
U.N. air support to fulfill their goals. This is not their fault; the
Qaddafi/Microsoft hegemony has caused the environment, not the
peaceful Java/Android/Libyan common folk.

What do you care whose fault it is? You've had the answer for weeks.
Microsoft doesn't follow the standard the rest of the world uses; you

When MS has 90% of the home networking market they *are* the standard
need a library to interact with their proprietary interface. The
library exists, it's readily available and it's free of charge. BFD.
Why does that bother you so much?

Chill the frak out.
BTW, just as a matter of interest, does Apples Objective C do the easy
getbyname thing for "non standard" MS home networks?

Lew

Dirk said:
When MS has 90% of the home networking market they *are* the standard

No, they aren't. Not by a long shot. Measure the number of packets
transmitted via TCP/IP against those transmitted via NETBIOS before
you make such foolish pronouncements.

Android follows the actual standard. You will note that there is a
whole lot more than home networks to computers, and in fact telephones
*far* outnumber home networks. So, no, Microsoft are most definitely
*not* the standard.

Most especially not for Linux, which, in case you hadn't noticed, is
what Android is built on. You have to add a library to your C-based
Linux home PC to get it to work with Windows, right? Do you bitch and
moan and whine and hold your breath until you turn purple because of
that, also?

You /did/ notice that, didn't you?

And the library to make it work with MS is universal, free and robust,
and its link was given to you a long time ago. (And needed for any
Linux system, not just Android.) So again, what the holy hell is your
frakking problem? Huh?

John B. Matthews

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax said:
BTW, just as a matter of interest, does Apples Objective C do the easy
getbyname thing for "non standard" MS home networks?

I don't know Objective-C, but it's got a binding to nmblookup, a part of
the samba suite that's included with Mac OS X. A broadcast request [1]
finds that my home router responds to NetBIOS requests over TCP/IP.
Perhaps yours can be pressed into service.

[1]<http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/doc/samba/DIAGNOSIS.txt>

Lew

John said:
Dirk said:
BTW, just as a matter of interest, does Apples Objective C do the easy
getbyname thing for "non standard" MS home networks?

I don't know Objective-C, but it's got a binding to nmblookup, a part of
the samba suite that's included with Mac OS X. A broadcast request [1]
finds that my home router responds to NetBIOS requests over TCP/IP.
Perhaps yours can be pressed into service.

[1]<http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/doc/samba/DIAGNOSIS.txt>

So in other words, it's not OBjective-C that provides the facility to
use Samba, but OS/X.

That tends to support the notion that it's not the computer language's
problem but the lack of the library. That would be borne out by
seeing if every environment that supports Objective-C supports CIFS
with inbuilt Objective-C libraries, or if, as with OS/X and Android,
they rely on external libraries.

I know on my home Linux machines I needed to explicitly install Samba
("apt-get", being Ubuntu); it didn't come without my request. Looks
like the same is true for my handheld Linux machine.

The evidence supports the assertion that lack of NETBIOS support on
the Android (a non-Windows machine!) is neither a bug nor a deficiency
of Android, nor of Java.

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

So, what, you think jCIFS should be included in the Android kernel?
Frankly, I don't think that's necessary or wise. How many of the tens of
thousands of *existing* Android apps need that functionality?

I argue that the SDK *should not* include that functionality. It adds
bloat and benefits very few developers.

What's bloat to a TB HDD and quad core machine?

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

It's been a while since the last time I used jCIFS, but I can tell you
that it only should be a few extra lines of code, at most.

Well, tried the following bit of code:

import jcifs.netbios.NbtAddress;

try{
NbtAddress addr = NbtAddress.getByName("artemis");
}catch (UnknownHostException e){}

And it throws that exception.
Any ideas? I have tried it with a couple of named machines on the LAN

Lew

Dirk said:
Steve Sobol wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax says...
I would say that it *is* an Android problem if they want to interface
easily with home networks.
So, what, you think jCIFS should be included in the Android kernel?
Frankly, I don't think that's necessary or wise. How many of the tens of
thousands of *existing* Android apps need that functionality?
Otherwise I would not be having to find add-on packages to do what their
SDK cannot.
I argue that the [Android] SDK *should not* include that functionality [jCIFS/Samba]. It adds
bloat and benefits very few developers.
What's bloat to a TB HDD and quad core machine?

Where can I buy that phone? Please provide a link to that phone!

You *are* talking about Android and smartphones, right? That's the topic
here. If not, then that was incredibly intellectually dishonest of you, Dirk
Bruere at NeoPax!

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Dirk said:
Steve Sobol wrote:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax says...
I would say that it *is* an Android problem if they want to interface
easily with home networks.
So, what, you think jCIFS should be included in the Android kernel?
Frankly, I don't think that's necessary or wise. How many of the tens of
thousands of *existing* Android apps need that functionality?
Otherwise I would not be having to find add-on packages to do what
their
SDK cannot.
I argue that the [Android] SDK *should not* include that
functionality [jCIFS/Samba]. It adds
bloat and benefits very few developers.
What's bloat to a TB HDD and quad core machine?

Where can I buy that phone? Please provide a link to that phone!

You *are* talking about Android and smartphones, right? That's the topic
here. If not, then that was incredibly intellectually dishonest of you,
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax!

No, Android Tablets

Arne Vajhøj

I wonder why, if constants are supposed to be written in capitals, that
doesn’t apply to class literals?

For instance, “String.class†should be acceptable, nay required, as
“STRING.CLASSâ€.

Because it is a class name and keyword.

Class name has to match the class name (!).

And keywords are lowercase.

Arne

John B. Matthews

Lew said:
John said:
Dirk said:
BTW, just as a matter of interest, does Apples Objective C do the
easy getbyname thing for "non standard" MS home networks?

I don't know Objective-C, but it's got a binding to nmblookup, a
part of the samba suite that's included with Mac OS X. A broadcast
request [1] finds that my home router responds to NetBIOS requests
over TCP/IP. Perhaps yours can be pressed into service.

[1]<http://www.wifi.com.ar/english/doc/samba/DIAGNOSIS.txt>

So in other words, it's not OBjective-C that provides the facility to
use Samba, but OS/X.

Yes. The samba suite is included in Darwin, the open source
POSIX-compliant operating system that underlies Mac OS X.

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darwin_(operating_system)>

Like many vendors, Apple contributes code to the samba project. The Mac
OS Desktop relies on the presence of samba to enable GUI access to
Windows volumes.

[...]
I know on my home Linux machines I needed to explicitly install Samba
("apt-get", being Ubuntu); it didn't come without my request. Looks
like the same is true for my handheld Linux machine.

On Ubuntu with Gnome, Nautilus uses smb/cifs as the default file sharing
service, so I usually include samba from the start. Like Java, it's
particularly convenient in a mixed Windows/Mac/Linux environment.

[...]

Lawrence D'Oliveiro

Because it is a class name and keyword.

Class name has to match the class name (!).

And keywords are lowercase.

But why are keywords representing constants not UPPERCASE?

Lew

I assumed we were talking about the SDK installed on my PC

Really? In a topic that YOU introduced entitled "Android LAN access problem"
that has been discussing Android issues and the presence of a CIFS package on
Android and why it's OK for Android not to include it out of the box because
it's Android and why Android (a topic YOU introduced and entitled using the
word "Android") is not buggy for including something that Android doesn't
need, in response to a particular post that explicitly mentioned "Android" as
the context,

"So, what, you think jCIFS should be included in the Android kernel?... I
argue that the SDK *should not* include that functionality. It adds
bloat and benefits very few developers."
- Steve Sobol

you thought we were talking about the SDK installed on your PC?

Really?

I don't believe you. You are a liar.