Android LAN access problem

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Dirk said:
Lew said:
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax wrote:
Steve Sobol wrote:

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax says...
I would say that it *is* an Android problem if they want to interface
easily with home networks.

So, what, you think jCIFS should be included in the Android kernel?
Frankly, I don't think that's necessary or wise. How many of the
tens of
thousands of *existing* Android apps need that functionality?

Otherwise I would not be having to find add-on packages to do what
their
SDK cannot.

I argue that the [Android] SDK *should not* include that
functionality [jCIFS/Samba]. It adds
bloat and benefits very few developers.

What's bloat to a TB HDD and quad core machine?

Where can I buy that phone? Please provide a link to that phone!

You *are* talking about Android and smartphones, right? That's the topic
here. If not, then that was incredibly intellectually dishonest of you,
Dirk Bruere at NeoPax!

No, Android Tablets

STOP teasing me! PLEASE provide the link! Why don't you provide the
link? Provide the link. I want a tablet with a terabyte hard drive and
quad core! PLLLLLEEEEEEAASE send the link.

Or are you still being dishonest?

Like I said, the talk was about the SDK which is installed on my PC

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

Holy shit, Dirk.

The Android SDK is meant for use on devices like my HTC MyTouch 4G.

My phone is a top-of-the-line Android 2.2 handset.

It has a whopping 8GB of storage and a *1 MHz* CPU. And Android phones
are *just now* starting to come out with *dual-core* CPU's.

That is a non-sequitur and a complete red herring... and you know it.

And my app, which is almost complete and compiled with JCIFS as an
extension of the SDK *on my PC* comes to under half a meg
I am saying that JCIFS or something like it should be part of the
Android SDK that I install on my PC - whether most people use it or not

Andreas Leitgeb

Steve Sobol said:
Crap. I meant 1 GHz :D
There are several recent smartphones including mine that have 1 MHz
CPUs, ...

These hands have been typing MHz for so many years, they no longer
care if brain commands them to type GHz :-D

Mike Schilling

Andreas Leitgeb said:
These hands have been typing MHz for so many years, they no longer
care if brain commands them to type GHz :-D

I have the same trouble typing "string". I mean "strong". :)

Nigel Wade

I would say that it *is* an Android problem if they want to interface
easily with home networks.

The problem is generated, quite deliberately, by Microsoft. You could
try asking Microsoft to make Windows work according to the standards
which everyone else has adopted. But I'm sure that their answer would be
to suggest that you drop Android and use Windows Mobile instead.

Nigel Wade

When MS has 90% of the home networking market they *are* the standard

If you really believe that then why are you working with Android, and
not Windows Mobile?

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

If you really believe that then why are you working with Android, and
not Windows Mobile?
Because Android will dominate the Tablet market.
If I thought it would be Windows mobile or even CE (which I have used)
then it would be that. Market forces.

Lew

Because Android will dominate the Tablet market.
If I thought it would be Windows mobile or even CE (which I have used) then it
would be that. Market forces.

So Windows is *not* the standard in the area of interest, at least.

You were wrong.

Dirk Bruere at NeoPax

So Windows is *not* the standard in the area of interest, at least.

You were wrong.
depends what area of interest we are talking about.
In home networking it is.
In tablets it isn't.
That's the problem.

Joined
Aug 22, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
On 03/23/2011 09:10 AM,

--
Lew
Honi soit qui mal y pense.

Wow. I had to register just so I could wade in (but not really looking for a flame war so don't expect a reply).

Lew, Dirk never implied in any manner that he believed Windows was the 'standard' in the mobile-space.
And to a certain extent, his statement about Microsoft being the 'standard' in home networking is true (in the domain he is interested in, not the domain you inferred he was commenting on). In the UK, if we look at the entire spectrum of home-broadband modems, what do you think is the percentage that will have Microsoft-based PCs on them. Answer? More than 90%. Therefore, when Dirk (and all other Android-developers doing the same) needs to write an Android app that communicates with home PCs and similar kit), the technical area he is interested in matters to him, and it's important to him.

But anyway, your spew of pedantic, abrasive posts and rub-your-face in it attitude fly at odds to the chivalric motto you use as a sig.