[ANN] aeditor 1.6

Simon Strandgaard

AEditor is an übercool programmer's editor, written entirely in Ruby
and very easy to extend with your own customizations.

screenshots:
http://aeditor.rubyforge.org/wiki/wiki.pl?HomePage

install guide + download:
http://raa.ruby-lang.org/project/aeditor/

AEditor 1.6 features

aeditor --selftest # -> 317 tests, 1257 assertions, 0 failures, 0 errors
syntax coloring of ruby files
multi buffers
option for autoindent
option for skipping tabs or moving through tabs
option for tabsize
configuration file
easy to make custom themes
ruby license

AEditor 1.6 uses these keybindings

Esc Return to normal mode (turn off selectionmode)
CTRL-Z Undo
CTRL-SHIFT-Z Redo
CTRL-B Toggle Bookmark
CTRL-O Open File
CTRL-S Save File
CTRL-F Find text
CTRL-R Replace text
CTRL-G Goto line
CTRL-M Jump to matching parentesis
CTRL-Left Prev word
CTRL-Right Next word
CTRL-PgUp Goto Top
CTRL-PgDn Goto Bottom
CTRL-1 Switch to 1st buffer
CTRL-2 Switch to 2nd buffer
CTRL-3 Switch to 3rd buffer
SHIFT-Left Unindent line / Unindent selection
SHIFT-Right Indent line / Indent selection
SHIFT-Up Exchange with line above
SHIFT-Down Exchange with line below
F1 [ debug - inspect aeditor internals ]
F2 - unused -
F3 repeat search
F4 incremental centering
F5 selection on/off (turn off copies to clipboard)
F6 paste from clipboard
F7 cut selection
F8 Fullscreen / Window mode
F9 Jump to next bookmark
F10 Record/Stop
F11 Play Macro
F12 Next Buffer
SHIFT-F12 Prev Buffer

Open Questions
Q. In which direction should AEditor evolve?
Q. What features is missing so it fits your needs?
Q. Whats wrong with AEditor?

I am very willing to help if you have requests. Thanks.

Phlip

Simon said:
Q. What features is missing so it fits your needs?

(Uh, a CUA mode so I don't need your cheat sheet? Don't hit don't hit!)

All editors need this:

In UEdit for AmigaOS, you could write this:

<Alt+Ctrl+F while (currentChar != '|') incCursor etc. etc.>

The editor provided a very light and very aware language, designed for
macros. The you put the cursor above the < marker, hit the Compile button,
and compile the keystroke. Then you can use that keystroke for the rest of
your session.

Simon Strandgaard

(Uh, a CUA mode so I don't need your cheat sheet? Don't hit don't hit!)

Good point.. I had completely forgotten this.. I also must implement this,
even though I don't use it myself.
If I look at emacs's CUA mode.. then the amount of keybindings is
overwhelming. What paticular bindings do you think is needed?
CTRL-C = copy
CTRL-V = paste
CTRL-X = cut
SHIFT-ARROW = move selection around

Besides above bindings.. I don't know what defines CUA..
I think about making the above mode default.. and then use
my own configuration file to turn it off.

Opinions about CUA are welcome.

All editors need this:

In UEdit for AmigaOS, you could write this:

<Alt+Ctrl+F while (currentChar != '|') incCursor etc. etc.>

The editor provided a very light and very aware language, designed for
macros. The you put the cursor above the < marker, hit the Compile button,
and compile the keystroke. Then you can use that keystroke for the rest of
your session.

if I understand you correct.. if you suddenly needed a macro
then you could type its behavior into the current buffer.. and then
compile it. Hmm.. thinking...

So you could have a file consisting only of macros.. when suddenly felt
need for a macro.. then you could load the macro file.. browse to the
macro you wanted.. and then compile it.

It sounds like a nice feature..

Where can I find more info about UEdit's macro system..?
Do you have more examples of macros?
Do you think it would be suitable.. or can it be done nicer ?