[ANN] dokkit 0.4.2 released

Andrea Fazzi

Hi Folks,

dokkit 0.4.2 has been released!

1 Changes from version 0.4.1
============================

* added 'formatter' configuration key

With the 'formatter' key, users can select the formatter to use for
rendering the current document.

The example configuration below tell dokkit to use maruku filters
(maruku-html, maruku-latex) to render the same markdown source document
in html and latex format:

---
formatter: maruku
format:
- html
- latex
---

The example above is equivalent to:

---
format:
- html
filter:
- erb
- maruku-html
- latex
filter:
- erb
- maruku-latex
---

The default value for 'formatter' key is 'deplate'. Current available
formatters are: deplate, maruku, haml.

* added haml filter

The example below will applies haml postfiltering to the document layout:

---
format:
- html
postfilter:
- haml
---

* easier access to configuration hash

The erb code below returns the value of @configuration['title']:

---
title: Document title
---

Title of the document: <%= title %>

2 What's dokkit?
================

dokkit is a document generator written in ruby that is suitable for
static websites generation too.

dokkit uses formatters like deplate[1] and maruku[2] to generate
documents in a large variety of output formats.

dokkit's features are:

* a smart building system based on rake[3]
* a templating system based on ERB[4]
* a flexible configuration system based on YAML[5] that supports
shared configuration files and 'in header' configuration
* an extensible formatting system that uses deplate and maruku as
built-in filters
* convention over configuration: for example, you don't need to give
the layout name to use if a layout with the same name of the
processed document is found in doc/layouts folder
* support for nested layouts
* support for partials
* support for caching

With dokkit you can:

* generate static websites
* generate many types of documents in many formats (html, tex, plain
text, etc.)
* write your documents using a simple wiki syntax and get high
quality latex output
* generate different output formats from the same source document
* use models to quickly generate the documents you want (static
websites, reports, howtos, guides, presentations, etc.)
* simply derive new documentation models from the existing ones
* simply modify existing models to fit your needs

dokkit aims to be modular and extensible: you can add new formatters and
helpers and easily extend document functionalities.

See dokkit website[6] for further information, documentation and
tutorials.

Please, visit the google group[7] and send feedback and suggestions!

3 Installation
==============

From rubygems:

sudo gem install dokkit

From subversion repository:

svn co http://dokkit.rubyforge.org/svn/dokkit-core/trunk/

4 Usage
=======

dokkit simple
cd simple/
rake

[1] http://deplate.sf.net/
[2] http://maruku.rubyforge.org/
[3] http://rake.rubyforge.org/
[4] http://www.ruby-doc.org/stdlib/libdoc/erb/rdoc/
[5] http://yaml4r.sourceforge.net/
[6] http://dokkit.rubyforge.org/
[7] http://groups.google.com/group/dokkit-forum

Axel Etzold

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:33:01 +0900
Von: Andrea Fazzi <[email protected]>
An: (e-mail address removed)
Betreff: [ANN] dokkit 0.4.2 released

Dear Andrea,

I can't try your software ... I am using ubuntu 8.04 (32 bit), tried sudo gem install dokkit, got successful
installation messages, but then:
dokkit simple

bash: dokkit: command not found

Is there a way to use your software from inside a ruby script ... ? I tried

require "rubygems"
require "dokkit"

system("dokkit simple")

.. but got not simple directory created ...

Thank you very much for your help,

Best regards,

Axel

Andrea Fazzi

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Datum: Tue, 5 Aug 2008 23:33:01 +0900
Von: Andrea Fazzi <[email protected]>
An: (e-mail address removed)

Dear Andrea,

I can't try your software ... I am using ubuntu 8.04 (32 bit), tried sudo gem install dokkit, got successful
installation messages, but then:

dokkit simple

bash: dokkit: command not found

Is there a way to use your software from inside a ruby script ... ? I tried

require "rubygems"
require "dokkit"

system("dokkit simple")

.. but got not simple directory created ...

Thank you very much for your help,

Best regards,

Axel

Hi Axel,

first of all thank you for your interest in dokkit.

I have installed and tested dokkit 0.4.2 from scratch on a Xubuntu 8.04
without errors (except for a dependency issue with haml package that has
been fixed in the just released dokkit 0.4.3 ... ).

Please, in a terminal run:

whereis dokkit

check the output and let me know.

If you prefer, in order to continue our discussion, you can subscribe on
the dokkit google group at

http://groups.google.com/group/dokkit-forum

Regards,
Andrea