ANN: Introduction to Event-Driven Programming

Steve

I've just released a draft (beta) version of a paper called
"Event-Driven Programming: Introduction, Tutorial, History".

It is available at
http://eventdrivenpgm.sourceforge.net/

A few years ago I was trying to learn event-driven programming. I
searched the Web for an introduction to the basic concepts, but I
couldn't find one. This is my attempt to fill that void.

Suggestions for improvements can be sent to me at steve(at)ferg(dot)org.

Randall Parker

Steve,

This is an aside: I'd love to see someone implement in Python a
framework similar to the Quantum Leaps Quantum Framework for
event-driven programming. I think Python has some features that lend
themselves to a neater implementation than what can be done in C/C++.

More generally, I'd like to see an event driven framework which would
be more declarative than the Quantum Framework. Rather than write code
for most transitions it should be possible to declare in data what
various events cause as transitions from states to states. Then
optionally hang pointers to code for things to do before transitioning.
Even let the code return a flag to test for whether to transition.

Carl Cerecke

Randall said:
Steve,

This is an aside: I'd love to see someone implement in Python a
framework similar to the Quantum Leaps Quantum Framework for
event-driven programming. I think Python has some features that lend
themselves to a neater implementation than what can be done in C/C++.

More generally, I'd like to see an event driven framework which would
be more declarative than the Quantum Framework. Rather than write code
for most transitions it should be possible to declare in data what
various events cause as transitions from states to states. Then
optionally hang pointers to code for things to do before transitioning.
Even let the code return a flag to test for whether to transition.

There's a small discussion in this group currently regarding efficiently
representing state machines in python (without resorting to bytecode
hacks) under the thread "Python code written in 1998, how to
improve/change it?". That would be a part of what you want.

Cheers,
Carl.