ANN matplotlib-0.60.2: python graphs and charts

John Hunter

matplotlib is a 2D plotting library for python. You can use
matplotlib interactively from a python shell or IDE, or embed it in
GUI applications (WX, GTK, and Tkinter). matplotlib supports many
plot types: line plots, bar charts, log plots, images, pseudocolor
plots, legends, date plots, finance charts and more.

What's new since matplotlib 0.50

This is the first wide release in 5 months and there has been a
tremendous amount of development since then, with new backends, many
optimizations, new plotting types, new backends and enhanced text
support. See http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/whats_new.html for
details.

* Todd Miller's tkinter backend (tkagg) with good support for
interactive plotting using the standard python shell, ipython or
others. matplotlib now runs on windows out of the box with python
+ numeric/numarry

* Full Numeric / numarray integration with Todd Miller's numerix
module. Prebuilt installers for numeric and numarray on win32.
Others, please set your numerix settings before building
matplotlib, as described on
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/faq.html#NUMARRAY

* Mathtext: you can write TeX style math expressions anywhere in your
figure.
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html#mathtext_demo.

* Images - figure and axes images with optional interpolated
resampling, alpha blending of multiple images, and more with the
imshow and figimage commands. Interactive control of colormaps,
intensity scaling and colorbars -
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html#layer_images

* Text: freetype2 support, newline separated strings with arbitrary
rotations, Paul Barrett's cross platform font
manager.
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html#align_text

* Jared Wahlstrand's SVG backend (alpha)

* Support for popular financial plot types -
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/screenshots.html#finance_work2

* Many optimizations and extension code to remove performance
bottlenecks. pcolors and scatters are an order of magnitude
faster.

* GTKAgg, WXAgg, TkAgg backends for http://antigrain.com (agg)
rendering in the GUI canvas. Now all the major GUIs (WX, GTK, Tk)
can be used with a common (agg) renderer.

* Many new examples and demos - see http://matplotlib.sf.net/examples
or download the src distribution and look in the examples dir.

Documentation and downloads available at
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net.

John Hunter

Lou Pecora

John Hunter said:
matplotlib is a 2D plotting library for python. You can use
matplotlib interactively from a python shell or IDE, or embed it in
GUI applications (WX, GTK, and Tkinter). matplotlib supports many
plot types: line plots, bar charts, log plots, images, pseudocolor
plots, legends, date plots, finance charts and more.

What's new since matplotlib 0.50

[cut]

Sounds tremendous.

Anyone have any experience running this on Mac OS X? What does it take
to get it up and running. I'm enticed. Will check it out on my own,
too, but any info welcome. Thanks.

-- Lou Pecora (my views are my own)

They laughed at Galileo. They laughed at Newton.
But they also laughed at Bozo the Clown. -- Carl Sagan

John Hunter

Lou> Anyone have any experience running this on Mac OS X? What
Lou> does it take to get it up and running. I'm enticed. Will
Lou> check it out on my own, too, but any info welcome. Thanks.

Hi Lou,

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5124458&forum_id=33405
I just made some changes to setupext.py (matplotlib's config script)
to accommodate the tk framework under OS X (borrowed from PIL's
setup.py). You can get the updated file from
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/setupext.py. If you want to use
TkAgg on OS X and are using the tcl/tk framework, please save this in
your matplotlib src dir before running setup.py.

See also these threads from the matplotlib mailing list

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5088021&forum_id=33405

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4998262&forum_id=33405

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=4374766&forum_id=36187

Good luck!
JDH

Jorl Shefner

Lou> Anyone have any experience running this on Mac OS X? What
Lou> does it take to get it up and running. I'm enticed. Will
Lou> check it out on my own, too, but any info welcome. Thanks.

Hi Lou,

http://sourceforge.net/mailarchive/forum.php?thread_id=5124458&forum_id=33405
I just made some changes to setupext.py (matplotlib's config script)
to accommodate the tk framework under OS X (borrowed from PIL's
setup.py). You can get the updated file from
http://matplotlib.sourceforge.net/setupext.py. [/QUOTE]
Good luck!
JDH

This is great to hear and much appreciated! I had tried so many times
(with several versions of matplotlib) get it running on OS X and always
ended in frustration.
Incidentally, I did recently manage to get it working (but only by
installing the huge Scisoft binary bundle:
http://www.stecf.org/macosxscisoft/) which finally got matplotlib up and
running. After using now for a few weeks, I've been hugely impressed
with the quality of the plots and its ease of use -- definitely worth
all the trouble to get it installed.

J.S.