[ANN] NougakuDo - Ruby 1.9 and Rails installer for Windows x64 withfastest server

Luis Lavena

Hi,

I've released Windows x64 installer package for Rails.
It bundles a rack handler calling http.sys, named Ennou. So very native Windows
friendly pakcage (but you may build unbundled gems with VS2010).
Details on http://www.artonx.org/data/nougakudo/eman.html

Awesome work Arton!

Interesting usage of Windows built-in Http library!

What made you choose ruby-trunk (1.9.3) as part of the package?

arton

Hi Luis,
What made you choose ruby-trunk (1.9.3) as part of the package?
It's something difficult to explain in English for me, but I try.
First, I really need x64 ruby because of amount of memory ruby can use.
For threads that are spawned by the handler. x86 Ruby can use too small
memory and caused NoMemoryError.
The second reason is the status of x64 mswin ruby porting.
The porting effort of ruby64 are on going by usa (Mr. Nakamura (u)) , so
I don't expect current stable version because it's not stable.
The third reason is something as same reason of the second. When I met
the problem, sometime I need to patch ruby source codes, and things just
going on.

Roger Pack

I've released Windows x64 installer package for Rails.

So this is a full ruby release using VS2010 64 bit? Do you have any
benchmarks? Was it difficult to build 64 bit dependencies, like
openssl?

Does ennou compile in 32 bit?

Could you elaborate on "x86 Ruby can use too small
memory and caused NoMemoryError." [your x86 ruby ran out of memory?
doesn't that mean that GC times were atrocious?]

Cheers!
-r

arton

So this is a full ruby release using VS2010 64 bit?
The answer is depends on the term 'full ruby'.
If it means all ext library -- the answer is no. Accoding with standard
mswin32, there is no curses.so, pty.so etc.
But it means all ruby's common feature and no-platform dependent exts,
the answer is yes. The package contains ruby.exe and lib/ruby/1.9.1 and
platform independent exts (except fro win32ole, it's contained but
platform dependent).
And I believe that below list is platform independent libraries because
of supporting for vc++ (nmake).
- openssl
-libyaml
-zlib
So I've packed with them.

arton

Sorry, accidentaly mailed just after the first question's answer.
Does ennou compile in 32 bit?
Yes it does.
You can download Ennou from https://github.com/arton/ennou.
And then, setup your compiler's environment and run
ruby setup.rb
(I only tested with VS2010 x86 and x64, so don't know cygwin and mingw)
doesn't that mean that GC times were atrocious?
When I tested with Jmeter set for 300 threads X 100 loops for one
process, NoMemoryError had happened. But x64 version of ruby could
process such load. I didn't want to limit threads number.

Here is the simple bench result.

client: Jmeter on MBP core2 2.2GHz 4GB
Server: Windows 7 x64 with Xeon W3520 2.66G 4core 8 (v)cpu

Ennou (1 proc)
100 threads and 100 times for Rails default index.html
-> 90% Line 164 msec Throughput 643.3/sec
200 threads and 100 times
-> 90% Line 359 msec Throughput 616.3/sec
(max responsetime < 1sec)

WEBrick
100 threads and 100 times for Rails default index.html
-> 90% Line 4,558 msec Throughput 23.1/sec
(max responsetime < 10sec)

Cheers.