[ANN] pysqlite 2.5.0 released

Gerhard Häring

pysqlite 2.5.0 released
=======================

I'm pleased to announce the availability of pysqlite 2.5.0. This is
a release with major new features.

Go to http://pysqlite.org/ for downloads, online documentation and
reporting bugs.

What is pysqlite?

pysqlite is a DB-API 2.0-compliant database interface for SQLite.

SQLite is a in-process library that implements a self-contained,
serverless, zero-configuration, transactional SQL database
engine.

pysqlite makes this powerful embedded SQL engine available to
Python programmers. It stays compatible with the Python database
API specification 2.0 as much as possible, but also exposes most
of SQLite's native API, so that it is for example possible to
create user-defined SQL functions and aggregates in Python.

If you need a relational database for your applications, or even
small tools or helper scripts, pysqlite is often a good fit. It's
easy to use, easy to deploy, and does not depend on any other
Python libraries or platform libraries, except SQLite. SQLite
itself is ported to most platforms you'd ever care about.

It's often a good alternative to MySQL, the Microsoft JET engine
or the MSDE, without having any of their license and deployment
issues.

pysqlite can be downloaded from http://pysqlite.org/ - Sources and
Windows binaries for Python 2.5, 2.4 and Python 2.3 are available.

=======
CHANGES
=======

- - Windows binaries are now cross-built using mingw on Linux
- - import various fixes from Python 2.6 version
- - Connection has new method iterdump() that allows you to create
a script file
that can be used to clone a database
- - the docs are now built using Sphinx and were imported from
Python 2.6's sqlite3 module
- - Connection.enable_load_extension(enabled) to allow/disallow extension
- - Give the remaining C functions used in multiple .c source files
the pysqlite_ prefix.
- - Release GIL during sqlite3_prepare() calls for better concurrency.
- - Automatically download the SQLite amalgamation when building
statically.

Matthias Huening

Hi,

- - Connection.enable_load_extension(enabled) to allow/disallow extension

The following code (from the docs) produces an error:

from pysqlite2 import dbapi2 as sqlite3
con = sqlite3.connect(":memory:")
# Load the fulltext search extension
con.enable_load_extension(True)
con.execute("select load_extension('./fts3.so')")
con.enable_load_extension(False)

Error is:

con.execute("select load_extension('./fts3.so')")
pysqlite2._sqlite.OperationalError: Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht gefunden.

Where should I look for the module?

Matthias

Gerhard Häring

Matthias said:
Hi,

The following code (from the docs) produces an error:

from pysqlite2 import dbapi2 as sqlite3
con = sqlite3.connect(":memory:")
# Load the fulltext search extension
con.enable_load_extension(True)
con.execute("select load_extension('./fts3.so')")
con.enable_load_extension(False)

Error is:

con.execute("select load_extension('./fts3.so')")
pysqlite2._sqlite.OperationalError: Das angegebene Modul wurde nicht
gefunden.

Where should I look for the module?

The sources are in ext/fts3 in the SQLite source tree. I haven't found
any Makefile, so I it myself using this gcc command:

$ cd .../ext/fts3
$ gcc -shared -o ~/src/gh/pysqlite/build/lib.linux-i686-2.5/fts3.so *.c
-lsqlite3

-- Gerhard

Matthias Huening

Gerhard Häring (08.09.2008 10:12):
The sources are in ext/fts3 in the SQLite source tree. I haven't found
any Makefile, so I it myself using this gcc command:

$ cd .../ext/fts3
$ gcc -shared -o ~/src/gh/pysqlite/build/lib.linux-i686-2.5/fts3.so *.c
-lsqlite3

Thanks!
Will fts3 be integrated in the Python 2.6 release?

Matthias

Gerhard Häring

Matthias said:
Gerhard Häring (08.09.2008 10:12):

Thanks!
Will fts3 be integrated in the Python 2.6 release?

No (only relevant on win32, where we also ship the SQLite DLL). Neither
will be the ability to load extensions modules. It's just too late to
add features now.

But AFAIK it's possible to compile a custom SQLite with appropriate
flags to ./configure that will include the fulltext search extension.

-- Gerhard