[ANN] Pythonium Core 0.2.5

Amirouche Boubekki

Héllo Pythonistas from all over the world,

I'm very proud to announce the immediate availability of Pythonium Core
0.2.5, a Python 3 to Javascript translator (the best) that generates *fast*
*portable* code written in Python.

It use Python 3 parser and translates the code to JavaScript code.

I did not say “it's fully compliant†because it's not. That's not the point
of this flavor. Its point is to make possible to write Python code and use
it in the browsers. All the objects stay vanilla Javascript objects. There
is no builtins, no stdlib, except what is available in the wild, because
Pythonium can access Javascript objects directly, you can use *whatever*
JavaScript library you want.

There is port of the mrdoob webgl cloud demo available

watch: http://pythonium.github.io/
read: https://github.com/pythonium/pythonium.github.io/blob/master/js/app.py

The project is hosted at github: https://github.com/pythonium/pythonium

Don't hesitate to watch/star/fork/create/pr ! Like said earlier, it's the
best translator I know of, and it's written in Python.

How do you get started ?
==================

If you know JavaScript it's easy you don't need guidance. Don't forget to
read the cookook
https://github.com/pythonium/pythonium/wiki/Pythonium-Core-Cookbook

If you only know backend or desktop Python development, it will be a bit
more work. What you can do is take a jQuery or Javascript course, and
translate the code on the fly to Python, compile it using the
pythonium_core and and run it in nodejs or a browser. Good luck!

What's next?
==========

Now, basicly, I don't know what to do!

Except bugs in requirejs integration, I don't except to commit more on this
flavor of Pythonium, so I could work on more compliant flavors until
reaching full compliance with Python 3.

BUT, this is not very interesting, having full compliance is nice, but you
loose native javascript speed (meh!) I'd rather be working on the next
killer todo list or some Kivy-like library for the browser using Pythonium
Core.

What do you think?

Amirouche

Salvatore DI DIO

Thanks Amirouche,

I am now balanced between RapydScript and Pythonium :)

Le dimanche 17 novembre 2013 20:17:44 UTC+1, Amirouche Boubekki a écrit :

Salvatore DI DIO

Porting Kivy would be really great.

Le dimanche 17 novembre 2013 20:17:44 UTC+1, Amirouche Boubekki a écrit :

Amirouche Boubekki

2013/11/17 Salvatore DI DIO said:
Are lists comprehensions are featured in Veloce ?

Ah! Good question, I did not think about it can probably add it to Core.
Thanks

Amirouche Boubekki

2013/11/18 Amirouche Boubekki said:
Ah! Good question, I did not think about it can probably add it to Core.
Thanks

It's done in last release, dubbed 0.3.0 just use pip to install it.

Also:

- fixed the test suite
- argument unpacking...
- generated code is now properly indented

I hope it's good enough.

Cheers,

Amirouche