    Changes in 2.5

    * Update the included clnum package.

    * Added ratapx and unique_roots commands.

    Raymond L. Buvel, Nov 19, 2006

  2. Can anyone remember who the Pole was and how his name is spelled?

    (no fair googling)

    - Hendrik

    Hendrik van Rooyen, Nov 20, 2006

  3. Raymond L. Buvel

    John Machin Guest

    Remember who: yes
    Remember spelling: you must be joking; however I do remember that the
    name is given in Knuth TAOCP vol 3 as a test case for the soundex
    algorithm.

    name = u"\u0141ukasiewicz" # Python syntax so we're not completely OT
    :)

    The first letter is LATIN CAPITAL LETTER L WITH STROKE.

    Cheers,
    John

    John Machin, Nov 20, 2006
  4. Raymond L. Buvel

    Ant Guest

    Lukershavik IIRC. At least that's how I was told it was pronounced (I
    had to say the damn name many times in presentations whilst using his
    algebras to model three-valued logic. Don't know if there were many
    Poles there to criticise mind ;-) )

    Ant, Nov 20, 2006
  5. Raymond L. Buvel

    Rob Wolfe Guest

    I wasn't there but you certainly deserved the criticism. ;-)
    "Lukershavik" sounds horrible. I'm Polish so I know what I'm saying.
    But don't worry, I know it's difficult. :)
    Closer would be I think:

    Woo as in wood
    cu as in cup
    sh as in ship
    e as in bed
    vi as in victim
    tch as in catch

    Woocushevitch

    Rob Wolfe, Nov 20, 2006
  6. Thanks - I find it disgusting that I am completely unable to remember this -

    If his name had been Smith or Jones it would be no problem,
    but just because there are a few too many consonants for me
    to handle, it is as if there is a total black hole...

    - Hendrik

    Hendrik van Rooyen, Nov 20, 2006
  7. Thanks - Hendrik

    Hendrik van Rooyen, Nov 20, 2006
  8. Thanks that will help...

    Hendrik

    Hendrik van Rooyen, Nov 20, 2006
  9. Raymond L. Buvel

    John Machin Guest

    A *few* too many? By my count it's 6 consonants compared with 5 in "van
    Rooyen".

    John Machin, Nov 21, 2006
  10. That makes it even more disgusting - that I should go "tilt" so easily...

    but this is way off topic now...

    - Hendrik

    Hendrik van Rooyen, Nov 21, 2006