[ANN] Ruby Installer for Windows 1.8.1-12

Curt Hibbs

The Ruby Installer 1.8.1-12 for Windows has been released and is now
available for download from:

http://rubyinstaller.rubyforge.org/

The previous release (1.8.1-11) had some anomalous behavior as part of the
build was inadvertently done with cygwin. This release is a 100% native
Windows build, done entirely without cygwin.

Starting with this release, we have officially moved the Ruby Installer
project from SourceForge to RubyForge. Please report bugs (or request
features) at:

http://rubyforge.org/tracker/?group_id=167

What is the Ruby Installer for Windows?
---------------------------------------

The Ruby Installer for Windows is a "one-click", self-contained Windows
installer that contains the Ruby language itself, dozens of popular
extensions and packages, a syntax-highlighting editor and execution
environment, and a Windows help file that contains the full text of the
book, "Programming Ruby: The Pragmatic Programmer's Guide".

Change Log for 1.8.1-12
-----------------------

- Eradicated all uses of cygwin
- Now using the version of REXML that is distributed
with Ruby.
- Upgraded SciTE to version 1.59, which includes support
for YAML highlighting and Tools menu commands for Ruby
syntax checking, code profiling, and irb.

Enjoy!

Curt

Robert

Curt Hibbs said:
[...]

Thanks to everyone involved!

Robert

John W. Kennedy

As has been reported on the website, ri.bat is still broken, rdoc.bat is
still broken, rbtest.bat is still broken, and even after fixing all
these and running rdoc -f ri, ri is still broken.

Lothar Scholz

Hello John,

Tuesday, April 20, 2004, 1:04:09 AM, you wrote:

JWK> As has been reported on the website, ri.bat is still broken, rdoc.bat is
JWK> still broken, rbtest.bat is still broken, and even after fixing all
JWK> these and running rdoc -f ri, ri is still broken.

At least "ri" and "rdoc" is not working fine with any installer. Here the
source code is broken. There are a few reports about this on the Ruby
Doc mailing lists, but no fix.

Linus Sellberg

John said:
these and running rdoc -f ri, ri is still broken.

It works if you delete the .bat's and run rdoc -f ri in the correct
directory. Istalling the latest version broke ri for me until I
remembered to remove the bat :)

John W. Kennedy

Linus said:
It works if you delete the .bat's and run rdoc -f ri in the correct
directory. Istalling the latest version broke ri for me until I
remembered to remove the bat :)
Well you can't _just_ remove the *.bat files. You have to rename
the corresponding files *.rb, too.

I'll try.

Nope. It still faw down go boom!

Generating RI...
c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/markup/simple_markup/to_flow.rb:92:in accept_rule':
undefined local variable or method `size' for #<SM::ToFlow:0xda12d90> (NameError)
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/markup/simple_markup/fragments.rb:170:in `accept'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/markup/simple_markup/fragments.rb:165:in `each'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/markup/simple_markup/fragments.rb:165:in `accept'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/markup/simple_markup.rb:259:in `convert'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/generators/ri_generator.rb:224:in `markup'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/generators/ri_generator.rb:107:in `generate_class_info'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/generators/ri_generator.rb:90:in `process_class'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/generators/ri_generator.rb:85:in `generate'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/generators/ri_generator.rb:84:in `each'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/generators/ri_generator.rb:84:in `generate'
from c:/ruby/lib/ruby/1.8/rdoc/rdoc.rb:210:in `document'
from c:/ruby/bin/rdoc.rb:63

Linus Sellberg

John said:
Well you can't _just_ remove the *.bat files. You have to rename
the corresponding files *.rb, too.

No, I didn't have to rename any .rb files. They worked with no
modification for me.

Stephan Kämper

Linus said:
No, I didn't have to rename any .rb files. They worked with no
modification for me.

Well I changed the content for those files, so as to match where
rdoc.rb, ri.rb and ruby itself are located on my machine.

My guess about whats wrong with the installer, is the way these files
are generated (or tailored). In the more recent versions there were some
strange path names hardwired into the .rb and .bat files. Paths that
certainly don't exist on my PC.
I imagine that things were working some thing like this:
- Template file were packed in the installer with some kind
of mark up (XML tags or %%REPLACE_ME_WITH_A_VALUE%% varialbles or
whatever)
- During installation the installer replaced these tags,
with the concrete value(s)...
Note that the 'root directory' into wich all the files are
copied is known as late as install time (the user might decide
to have Ruby installed into some obscure non-standard place, or
wants to install more than one version side by side)
- ...and copies the tailored files to their target directory

Now, if for any reason these place holders were replaced by
concrete values in the template files, any tailoring would be
lost of course.

As the sources of the installer are available at rubyforge (as I
recall), I might have a look into this later this week.

Happy rubying (anyway)

Stephan

Now, you can give a path to where Ruby shall be installed, so _if_ the
absolute path information of those *.rb and *.bat files _is_ neccessary,
the installer will have to set up those paths during install time.
So what I think might has happened, is that at some point in time the
variable name tags (something like %%RUBY_ROOT%% or some kind of XML tag
or whatever...) got lost (replaced by some concrete path) in the sources
from which the 'real' programs were generated.

Stephan Kämper

Ooops, sorry that last paragraph shouldn't have made it to the ng, just
ignore it.

Stephan

John W. Kennedy

Linus said:
No, I didn't have to rename any .rb files. They worked with no
modification for me.

No, I mean the several files that _aren't_ named *.rb, but should be.

--
John W. Kennedy
"You can, if you wish, class all science-fiction together; but it is