[ANN] rubygems-update 1.8.1 Released

Eric Hodel

rubygems-update version 1.8.1 has been released!

* http://rubygems.org
* http://docs.rubygems.org
* http://help.rubygems.org
* http://github.com/rubygems
* http://rubyforge.org/projects/rubygems

RubyGems is a package management framework for Ruby.

This gem is an update for the RubyGems software. You must have an
installation of RubyGems before this update can be applied.

See Gem for information on RubyGems (or `ri Gem`)

To upgrade to the latest RubyGems, run:

$ gem update --system # you might need to be an administrator or root

See UPGRADING.rdoc for more details and alternative instructions.

-----

If you don't have RubyGems installed, your can still do it manually:

* Download from: https://rubygems.org/pages/download
* Unpack into a directory and cd there
* Install with: ruby setup.rb # you may need admin/root privilege

For more details and other options, see:

ruby setup.rb --help

=3D=3D=3D 1.8.1 / 2011-05-05

After installing RubyGems 1.8.1 you will see deprecations when loading =
your
exsting gems. Run `gem pristine --all --no-extensions` to regenerate =
your
gem specifications safely.

Currently RubyGems does not save the build arguments used to build gems =
with
extensions. You will need to run `gem pristine gem_with_extension --
--build-arg` to regenerate a gem with an extension where it requires =
special
build arguments.

* 1 minor enhancement:

* Added Gem::Requirement#specific? and Gem::Dependency#specific?

* 4 bug fixes:

* Typo on Indexer rendered it useless on Windows
* `gem dep` can fetch remote dependencies for non-latest gems again.
* `gem uninstall` with multiple versions no longer crashes with =
ArgumentError
* Always use binary mode for File.open to keep Windows happy

Dame, Stephen G

Somehow, when running this 1.8.1 update, it broke three websites I have in =
development. These are Apache sites which previously had passenger configu=
red to run in httpd.conf as follows:

LoadModule passenger_module /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3=
0.7/ext/apache2/mod_passenger.so
PassengerRoot /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3.0.7
PassengerRuby /usr/local/bin/ruby
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName flybobdev.ca.boeing.com
DocumentRoot /home/flybob/Rails/test_app/public
</VirtualHost>

This was after I ran...

gem update --system
gem pristine --all --no-extensions

My /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3.0.7/ext/apache2

No longer has any *.so files in it. Therefore Apache gives the following e=
rror upon restart.

# /etc/init.d/apache2 graceful
httpd: Syntax error on line 481 of /opt/apache_2.2.15/conf/httpd.conf: Cann=
ot load /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3.0.7/ext/apache2/mod=
_passenger.so into server: /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3.=
0.7/ext/apache2/mod_passenger.so: cannot open shared object file: No such f=
ile or directory

/usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3.0.7/ext/apache2 CONTAINS.=
..

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 5909 May 6 16:57 Bucket.cpp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 3345 May 6 16:57 Bucket.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 30041 May 6 16:57 Configuration.cpp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1881 May 6 16:57 Configuration.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 12609 May 6 16:57 Configuration.hpp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 7801 May 6 16:57 DirectoryMapper.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 11669 May 6 16:57 HelperAgent.cpp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 61223 May 6 16:57 Hooks.cpp
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1540 May 6 16:57 Hooks.h
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 1995 May 6 16:57 mod_passenger.c

I also ran gem install passenger to migrate from 3.0.4 to 3.0.7

Does this make sense? Did the gem update break passenger or did passenger =
change something that requires some sort of compile to get the *.so file?

[...]

botp

After installing RubyGems 1.8.1 you will see deprecations when loading yo= ur
exsting gems. =A0Run `gem pristine --all --no-extensions` to regenerate y= our
gem specifications safely.

it still is noisy. i had to (force) set Deprecate.skip to return true...

best regards -botp

Joel VanderWerf

it still is noisy. i had to (force) set Deprecate.skip to return true...

best regards -botp

I ended up doing `gem pristine --all`. A nice long coffee break ;)

Josh Cheek

[...]

After Rake and Bundler come on board, I'll join you guys. But in the
meantime, I'm going to
$ gem update --system 1.7

Also, I have a gem, but wasn't notified about this (maybe because mine had
no issues?), if I wasn't on the ML or following certain people on Twitter or
didn't update my Rubygems, I might not even know there could be problems.
Maybe a mass email "check your gems are still valid" to gem authors? I'd be
willing to opt into it on rubygems.org

Kevin Bullock

Steve Dame wrote in post #997150:
Somehow, when running this 1.8.1 update, it broke three websites I have
in development. [...]

My /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3.0.7/ext/apache2

No longer has any *.so files in it. Therefore Apache gives the
following error upon restart. [...]

Doesn't Passenger have an extra step involved to build the
mod_<whatsit>.so? You would likely have to re-run that as well.

Patrick Johnson

To upgrade to the latest RubyGems, run:

$ gem update --system # you might need to be an administrator or root

I'm completely new to this stuff. When should "gem update" alone ever be
run? Or does doing so break things?

Phillip Gawlowski

I'm completely new to this stuff. =A0When should "gem update" alone ever = be
run? =A0Or does doing so break things?

"gem update [gem]" updates a gem. If no argument is given, it updates all g=
ems.

What, if anything, breaks depends on the gems you have installed.

--=20
Phillip Gawlowski

Though the folk I have met,
(Ah, how soon!) they forget
When I've moved on to some other place,
There may be one or two,
When I've played and passed through,
Who'll remember my song or my face.

Ryan Davis

I'm completely new to this stuff. When should "gem update" alone ever be
run? Or does doing so break things?

The built-in help should explain things:

gem update --help

If not, let me know what I can help clarify.

Ryan Davis

Somehow, when running this 1.8.1 update, it broke three websites I =
have in development. These are Apache sites which previously had =
passenger configured to run in httpd.conf as follows:
=20
LoadModule passenger_module = /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3.0.7/ext/apache2/mod_passen=
ger.so
PassengerRoot /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3.0.7
PassengerRuby /usr/local/bin/ruby
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName flybobdev.ca.boeing.com
DocumentRoot /home/flybob/Rails/test_app/public
</VirtualHost>
=20
=20
This was after I ran...
=20
gem update --system
gem pristine --all --no-extensions
=20
My /usr/local/lib/ruby/gems/1.9.1/gems/passenger-3.0.7/ext/apache2
=20
No longer has any *.so files in it. Therefore Apache gives the =
following error upon restart.

http://www.modrails.com/install.html

Dame, Stephen G

Ah! Much thanks Ryan. This was the exact pointer needed. I had to run=20

passenger-install-apache2-module=20

to get the recompile.

However, now passenger is complaining about all kinds of things related to =
"Ruby (Rack) application could not be started"

At first I thought it was bundle, but then I installed bundle. gem instal=
l bundle

Then it seemed to be "Rack" so I gem install rack.

Now, I'm going down the bunny trail with an error message...

Ruby (Rack) application could not be started
Error message:
undefined method `matching_specs' for #<Gem::Dependency:0x0000002049e58=
8>

Does anyone, familiar with installing Rails3 and Passenger, have an idea on=
what the source of this error is?