[ANN] Ruby/Odeum 0.4: ResultSets, KirbyBase Demo

Zed A. Shaw

Hello,

An announcement for another version of Ruby/Odeum 0.4.

http://www.zedshaw.com/projects/ruby_odeum/index.html
http://www.zedshaw.com/downloads/ruby_odeum/ruby_odeum-0.4.tar.bz2
http://www.zedshaw.com/downloads/ruby_odeum/ruby_odeum-0.4.gem

***This release will break your existing code.*** Read the ResultSet
documentation for how to make your changes.

Important features of this release are:

* This release has a 15-20% speed improvement based on my performance
analysis research against Lucene.
* The API now returns ResultSet objects rather than big arrays of IDs
and scores for documents. These ResultSet objects give the speed
improvement, but are still flexible and easy to use.
* ResultSet objects are Marshal capable (but not cross CPU archs
probably) letting you easily implement paged search results in web pages
or send ResultSets over DRb for processing.
* ResultSet objects support a nice range or iterator or direct access
methods and they can be intermixed.
* Major code clean-up simplifying the memory management and API.
* An implementation of a KirbyBase wrapper that indexes records on the
fly and allows you to do full text search for them. Works great with
the built-in DRb support of KirbyBase. There is a demo for this.
* The KirbyBase extension is done without touching existing installs of
KirbyBase code.

I'm interested in doing a similar "database wrapper" setup for
ActiveRecord and Og.

Feel free to contact me about errors and other problems you may have.

Zed A. Shaw