[ANN] SQLite/Ruby 2.0.2 Beta

Jamis Buck

http://sqlite-ruby.rubyforge.org
http://sqlite-ruby.rubyforge.org/faq.html

Another beta release in the 2.0.x series. This one adds explicit
transaction support, and follows Carl Youngblood's suggestion (thanks,
Carl!) that Statement#execute immediately execute its query (instead of
waiting until the result set's #next method is invoked). This makes
Statement#execute safe to use for DDL statements (and other statements
that don't return rows).

I also changed the name of the gem file to "sqlite-ruby", instead of
merely "sqlite" (hope that doesn't cause anyone any grief...).

Transactions look like this:

database.transaction do |db|
database.execute( "insert..." )
end
# implicit commit, or rollback if exception occurs...

or

database.transaction
database.execute( "insert..." )
database.commit # or database.rollback

I also changed "Database#execute_all" to "Database#execute_batch".

There is an issue with the callbacks for custom functions. If they raise
an exception, or if they use FunctionProxy#set_error to report an error,
memory gets corrupted and results in nondeterministic behavior (often
segfaults). Not sure why, yet.

Lastly--I know there are a lot of you that are interested in SQLite that
aren't on SQLite's mailing lists... so I'm announcing the betas to
Ruby-Talk. If that is a breach of etiquette, please tell me! Thanks...

- Jamis

--
Jamis Buck
(e-mail address removed)