[ANN] Syck 0.50 -- The new YAML is here for testing

why the lucky stiff

Finally, I can go back to drawing ponies out on the bridge by the old
reservoir...

** FOR THE ADVENTUROUS -- FOR TESTING ODYSSEYS ONLY **

Syck 0.50 is here!! Believe me when I say that this is the most
incredible day of your life!! Consider the months I've spent slaving
away, rethinking and reshaping our little YAML engine...

And today, all the tests passed and I rode my speedboat right through a
tunnel, screaming at the top of my lungs.

---

The new Syck is much faster than before and we're closing in on
Marshal. The following benchmark illustrates loading and dumping of a
700k file.

Marshal:
real 0m0.053s
user 0m0.041s
sys 0m0.007s

Syck 0.45:
real 0m0.271s
user 0m0.259s
sys 0m0.006s

Syck 0.50:
real 0m0.094s
user 0m0.086s
sys 0m0.003s

In my testing, it's common to see a 4x speed increase on outputting YAML.

Although this release is less stable than Syck 0.45, the core of Syck is
fully unit-tested and I am actively working to find and crush memory
leaks and segfaults. If you have the means to assist in this work, I'd
appreciate any stress testing scripts and stacktraces you can contribute.

This release marks the end of major API changes. I don't think anything
will change in syck.h until a 1.0 release. This means the focus can be
on (1) debugging every corner of the library and (2) ensuring
interoperability between the PHP, Python and Ruby extensions.

Well, good enough. Beaver tales,

_why

why the lucky stiff

Aredridel said:
Congrats! Nice Stats! And are you planning on making the URL a second
email as a habit?
I am. And here is the third e-mail in my streamlined process, which
reiterates the importance of everything I am doing.

Everything I'm doing is SO important.

BEAVER TALES!!

_why

George Ogata

Bill Guindon said:
Ours is not to reason _why,
Ours is but to install or die.

Yeah, but that doesn't result in me knowing the answer to the
question.

George Ogata

Bill Guindon said:
Having visited his site (http://www.whytheluckystiff.net/), I've
learned to expect the unexpected. Seems the WTF/Page ratio runs
pretty high there.

That said, just seemed like a fun little play on words to toss out.

Oh, I know about _why and his literary anomalies. This is the third
time he signed off with it this thread though (this time with
uppercase and in exclamation, no less), and it has to mean something.
If it's a "play on words" then I don't see it. Help!

why the lucky stiff

George said:
...the third time... and it has to mean something...

It's a popular slogan amongst the Merchant Marine. They say it all the
time. It's similar to saying "lickety split." You can get it on mugs
and badges. I first saw mention of it in a kitschy painting displayed
at the museum in Balboa Park.

Later, it became the title of a popular e-zine in Canada. Three
siblings who did these great crafts like: turning your shoes inside-out
and sewing them back together that way or games you could play with bird
feed. The art was really wild. But the kids got busted by their folks
because the kids were hosting the zine on the server that their dad was
using for sensitive mortgage loan information. It got closed.

Anyway, you can read it all on Wikipedia. It was a really big deal.

_why

George Ogata

why the lucky stiff said:
It's a popular slogan amongst the Merchant Marine. They say it all the
time. It's similar to saying "lickety split." You can get it on mugs
and badges. I first saw mention of it in a kitschy painting displayed
at the museum in Balboa Park.

Later, it became the title of a popular e-zine in Canada. Three
siblings who did these great crafts like: turning your shoes inside-out
and sewing them back together that way or games you could play with bird
feed. The art was really wild. But the kids got busted by their folks
because the kids were hosting the zine on the server that their dad was
using for sensitive mortgage loan information. It got closed.

Anyway, you can read it all on Wikipedia. It was a really big deal.

_why

Oh. My condolences. Thanks for clearing it up, though; I can
concentrate again.

And before someone complains about going OT: nice work on Syck.