[ANN] test-loop - Continuous testing with fork/eval

Suraj Kurapati

test-loop - Continuous testing for Ruby with fork/eval
http://github.com/sunaku/test-loop

test-loop is a fast continuous testing tool for Ruby that continuously
detects and tests changes in your Ruby application in an efficient
manner, whereby it:

1. Absorbs the test execution overhead into the main Ruby process.
2. Forks to evaluate your test files directly and without overhead.

It relies on file modification times to determine what parts of your
Ruby application have changed and then uses Rake's `String#pathmap`
function to determine which test files in your test suite correspond
to those changes.

Features
--------

* Tests CHANGES in your Ruby application; does NOT run all tests
every time.

* Reabsorbs test execution overhead if the test or spec helper file
changes.

* Mostly I/O bound, so you can have it always running without CPU
slowdowns.

* Supports Test::Unit, RSpec, or any other testing framework that is
utilized by your application's `test/test_helper.rb` and
`spec/spec_helper.rb` files.

* Implemented in less than 50 (SLOC) lines of code! :)

Installation
------------

As a Ruby gem:

gem install test-loop

As a Git clone:

git clone git://github.com/sunaku/test-loop

Invocation
----------

If installed as a Ruby gem:

test-loop

If installed as a Git clone:

ruby -Ilib bin/test-loop

Operation
---------

* Press Control-Z (or send the SIGTSTP signal) to forcibly run all
tests, even if there are no changes in your Ruby application.

* Press Control-\ (or send the SIGQUIT signal) to forcibly reabsorb
the test execution overhead, even if its sources have not changed.

* Press Control-C (or send the SIGINT signal) to quit the test loop.

License

Suraj Kurapati

I just released version 1.0.1, which cuts
the source code down to 40 SLOC. Cheers!

Suraj Kurapati

### test-loop - Continuous testing for Ruby with fork/eval ###
### https://github.com/sunaku/test-loop#readme ###

I released version 3.0.0 which removes the dependence on Rake's
String#pathmap function by replacing them with lambda functions.

This makes test-loop a completely native and portable Ruby script
because it does not use any gems or standard libraries at all! :)

Happy testing!

Suraj Kurapati

### test-loop - Continuous testing for Ruby with fork/eval ###
### 4.0.0 https://github.com/sunaku/test-loop#readme ###

I just released version 4.0.0 which adds fine-grained change
detection (finds which tests changed inside your test files!)
to further accelerate your already skyrocketing productivity:

* Only run changed tests inside changed test files.

* Run tests in parallel: one worker per test file.

* Print the status of each test file after execution.

* Rename `@after_test_execution` to `@after_all_tests`
and change its function signature.

* Clean up implementation and improve documentation.

Happy testing!

Suraj Kurapati

### test-loop - Continuous testing for Ruby with fork/eval ###
### 4.0.1 https://github.com/sunaku/test-loop#readme ###

I just released version 4.0.1 with these changes:

* Print how much time it took to run all tests.

* Do not print test file before loading because it
is hard to follow parallel test execution anyway.

* Print rescued top-level exceptions to STDERR.

* Strip surrounding spaces from parsed test names.

* Use long options when passing test names in ARGV.

* Only prepend lib/, test/, and spec/ to $LOAD_PATH.

Happy testing!