[ANN] The "Ruby Best Practices" Collaborative Blog

Gregory Brown

Hi folks,

This is a one-time announcement about yet another blog project of mine...

=3D=3D What =3D=3D

A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. It is
now live at:

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

=3D=3D Who =3D=3D

For starters, I went with an 8 person core group, which aside from
myself includes:

James Britt, Kirk Haines, Robert Klemme, Jeremy McAnally, Sean
O=92Halpin, Magnus Holm and Lakshan Perera

=3D=3D Why =3D=3D

You can read more about the details of the blog and each of these folks at:

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/about/

But the general idea is that we want to provide great content that
helps folks get better at Ruby while still keeping the focus on real
world problems. We also want to have a lot of fun, too!

Please enjoy the new blog, and get involved in the conversations that
crop up as we continue to write new content. We will also begin
accepting articles from casual contributors, so keep an eye out for an
announcement about how that will work.

-greg

--=20
BOOK: http://rubybestpractices.com
TECH: http://blog.majesticseacreature.com
NON-TECH: http://metametta.blogspot.com

Ben Lovell

Hi folks,

This is a one-time announcement about yet another blog project of mine...

== What ==

A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. It is
now live at:

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

Awesome... subscribed.

Ben

James Gray

A couple weeks ago I put out a call for volunteers to run a
collaborative blog with me focused on best practices in Ruby. It is
now live at:

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

This is already shaping up to be a must-read, with only two real
content posts so far. I really hope the trend continues.

My only complaint is the lack of a <title> tag on the home page. I
had to make up a title when I bookmarked it.

James Edward Gray II

Chuck Remes

This should be fixed now, thanks.

For those of us who read via RSS, it would be great if you either
published the entire article to the news stream OR put a "more..."
link into the summary so it is obvious there is more text.

cr

Gregory Brown

For those of us who read via RSS, it would be great if you either published
the entire article to the news stream OR put a "more..." link into the
summary so it is obvious there is more text.

Well, the summaries are completely independent from the text, so it
should be pretty obvious over time. I thought about full text
streams, but I don't trust the content to display properly that way.

-greg

Ben Lovell

Well, the summaries are completely independent from the text, so it
should be pretty obvious over time. I thought about full text
streams, but I don't trust the content to display properly that way.

There are literally *stacks* of other technical blogs that display their
contents correctly via feeds. What problem do you foresee?

I would prefer to read the full text via RSS if possible.

Great work otherwise!

Aapo Lehtinen

Martin DeMello kirjoitti viestiss=E4=E4n (l=E4hetysaika tiistai, 14. huhtik=
uuta 2009=20
16:49:03):
Looks excellent!

martin

Agreed, not too web2point0

Tony Arcieri

There are literally *stacks* of other technical blogs that display their
contents correctly via feeds. What problem do you foresee?

I would prefer to read the full text via RSS if possible.

Yes, agreed. If the full text isn't in the RSS feed I typically won't
bother reading it.

I read many technical blogs with rich formatting and it's preserved just
fine in my RSS reader.

Michael Furmaniuk

Nice blog, especially the Blocks for Robustness post which uses one of
my questions and gives me another good method of handling that problem.

Gregory Brown

Yes, agreed. =A0If the full text isn't in the RSS feed I typically won't
bother reading it.

Well, we can't have that, now can we?

I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. We'll see how it works=
out.
If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

-greg

Ben Lovell

I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. We'll see how it works
out.
If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

-greg
Great, thank you!

john maclean

2009/4/14 Ben Lovell said:
I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. =A0 We'll see how it w= orks
Great, thank you!

/me looks forward to some articles on testing.

--=20
John Maclean
07739 171 531
MSc (DIC)

Timezone: GMT

Tony Arcieri

Well, we can't have that, now can we?

I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. We'll see how it works
out.
If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

Thanks! And subscribed! :)

Jesús Gabriel y Galán

Well, we can't have that, now can we?

I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. =A0 We'll see how it w= orks out.
If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

Thanks for this, I'm on the side of those who prefer reading the full
article in the RSS reader.
I use Google Reader and it's showing up fine.

I'm looking forward for more articles.
Keep up the good job !!

Jesus.

Diego.Virasoro

great I've been looking forward to this since you mentioned it
on your blog... and to be honest I wasn't expecting it this early.

Diego

Michael Fellinger

=20
Well, we can't have that, now can we?
=20
I just switched korma over to use full text feeds. We'll see how it
works out. If there are problems, please send me a direct email.

Doesn't that prevent gist embedding/highlighting in the feed?

--=20
^ manveru

Gregory Brown

Doesn't that prevent gist embedding/highlighting in the feed?

I'm actually not sure. Anyone know the answer here?
We definitely plan to use gist on the RBP blog.

-greg

Robert Klemme

I'm actually not sure. Anyone know the answer here?
We definitely plan to use gist on the RBP blog.

I don't know either. But let's see what happens when we have the first
gist in a posting.

Cheers

robert