ANSI c++ development in .net

Nishanth

Hi All,

Is is possible to develop ANSI C++ development in Visual Studio .net?
Is it possible to execute the ANSI c++ application compiled as above in
other systems that do not have .net framework installed.

Thanks
Nishanth

Nishanth

I am sorry if i was not clear in my earlier post.

My understanding is that ANSI c++ is a standard for c++, to which all
the compilers should adhere to. and the c++ code developed by following
these standards should be compatible with different c++ compilers for
different platforms.

My question is
- If we develop the c++ code in .net and compile the same, will the
executable run in any other windows platform without the .net framework
installed.
My thinking is no, as the code compiled in .net framework platform and
CLR will come into play.
But is there a way to compile the code in Visual studio .net without it
being converted into CLR and making it platform dependant.

I want to know this as someone suggested that we use the .net ide to
write and compile the ANSI c++ code.

Thanks
Nishanth

Jack Klein

I am sorry if i was not clear in my earlier post.

My understanding is that ANSI c++ is a standard for c++, to which all
the compilers should adhere to. and the c++ code developed by following
these standards should be compatible with different c++ compilers for
different platforms.

So far, so good.
My question is
- If we develop the c++ code in .net and compile the same, will the
executable run in any other windows platform without the .net framework
installed.

This is a Windows question, not a C++ language one.
My thinking is no, as the code compiled in .net framework platform and
CLR will come into play.
But is there a way to compile the code in Visual studio .net without it
being converted into CLR and making it platform dependant.

This is a Windows and .net question, not a C++ language one.
I want to know this as someone suggested that we use the .net ide to
write and compile the ANSI c++ code.

You need to ask questions about specific compilers and specific
Windows extensions like .net in a Windows group. The C++ language
standard knows nothing at all of .net.

I'd suggest

Noah Roberts

Nishanth said:
I am sorry if i was not clear in my earlier post.

My understanding is that ANSI c++ is a standard for c++, to which all
the compilers should adhere to. and the c++ code developed by following
these standards should be compatible with different c++ compilers for
different platforms.

ISO is actually the group in change of standardizing C++.
My question is
- If we develop the c++ code in .net and compile the same, will the
executable run in any other windows platform without the .net framework
installed.
My thinking is no, as the code compiled in .net framework platform and
CLR will come into play.
But is there a way to compile the code in Visual studio .net without it
being converted into CLR and making it platform dependant.

Yes, you can write "unmanaged code" in visual studio. However, the
compilations are still platform dependant.
I want to know this as someone suggested that we use the .net ide to
write and compile the ANSI c++ code.

I find the environment rather irritating myself but it does work and is
one of the better ISO standard compilers of the day.

There may come a time, maybe soon, when it won't work. MS is
"depricating" win32 and moving EVERYTHING to .NET. Writing unmanaged
code may become difficult or impossible on the windows platform.

?

=?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_Wikstr=F6m?=

I am sorry if i was not clear in my earlier post.

My understanding is that ANSI c++ is a standard for c++, to which all
the compilers should adhere to. and the c++ code developed by following
these standards should be compatible with different c++ compilers for
different platforms.

My question is
- If we develop the c++ code in .net and compile the same, will the
executable run in any other windows platform without the .net framework
installed.
My thinking is no, as the code compiled in .net framework platform and
CLR will come into play.
But is there a way to compile the code in Visual studio .net without it
being converted into CLR and making it platform dependant.

I want to know this as someone suggested that we use the .net ide to

Start a new "Empty Project", add a source-file and you're all set.

Erik Wikström