ANSI C syntax ?

Chris Hills

Nelu said:
standard established tens of years ago as opposed to a word
that's not widely used and was invented to poke fun at Americans
after 2001. (It seems the word appeared on the Internet in 2002,
close enough to 2001, Afghanistan and Iraq).

USAian has been used in other NG's long before 2001 and is quite common
some NG's.

I have not seen it used as a way of poking fun at the North Americans
from the area north of Mexico and south of Canada.

Chris Hills

Keith Thompson said:
Yes, but it's still very common to refer to C89/C90 as "ANSI C".
Incorrect, but common.

Actually C89 is was ANSI C as it was the only C standard
Since then of course it has become ISO C and then every participating
country ratifies it. I use BSI-C..... (it is just more sensible to
refer to it as ISO-C
Personally, I avoid using the term "ANSI C".

Or BSI-C or DIN-C or....
I refer to "ISO C" if
it's sufficiently clear from the context whether I'm talking about C90
or C99, and "C90" or "C99" (or rarely "C95") to refer to the language
defined by a particular version of the standard.

I agree. When referring to standards one should be precise and use ISO-C
9* unless referring to K&R 1 or 2

Al Balmer

American is no more the correct term than "illegal combatant" is legal.
Just because the USAians start making uop their own definitions there is
no reason why the rest of the world has to accept them.

Here we have an example of why I considered it to be a silly attempt
at insult. One of many by this particular author.
However whilst American can be used to cover all inhabitants of American
(north and south) is it generally taken to mean inhabitants of the USA.

I can for the life of me see why anyone should get up set at USAian any
more than Taff, Jock, Brit, Limey, Paddy, Mick etc

But the targets of those appellations sometimes *do* get upset.

Chris Hills

Al Balmer said:
Here we have an example of why I considered it to be a silly attempt
at insult. One of many by this particular author.

You seem particularly over sensitive and I don't recall making any
insulting comments aimed at the US in this NG.
But the targets of those appellations sometimes *do* get upset.

Then they are told to get a sense of humour and grow up by the rest of
us.

Al Balmer

You seem particularly over sensitive and I don't recall making any
insulting comments aimed at the US in this NG.

Yep. I've always been sensitive to silliness. Keeps my blood pressure
down.

In which newsgroups *do* you make insulting comments aimed at the US?

Richard Heathfield

Al Balmer said:
Yep. I've always been sensitive to silliness. Keeps my blood pressure
down.

Then stay out of alt.humor.best-of-usenet - otherwise your BP will drop
to 0, and that ain't healthy.
In which newsgroups *do* you make insulting comments aimed at the US?

I don't know. Wouldn't /that/ be a weird charter, though? And perhaps
such groups would have to be moderated, to avoid people sneaking in
little off-topic digs at, say, Uzbekistan or Papua New Guinea.

Chris Hills

Al Balmer said:
Yep. I've always been sensitive to silliness. Keeps my blood pressure
down.

In which newsgroups *do* you make insulting comments aimed at the US?

Well where are the insults I have supposed to be making that you
referred to?