Ant COPY task, want to copy the directory itself, not just its contents!

dxd

I'm trying to use the ant copy task to copy a directory plus all its
contents and subdirectories to a new directory e.g.

Source directory is d:\temp\dir1

Target directory is c:\temp

I want to execute the copy task on d:\temp\dir1 and end up with
c:\temp\dir1

But what I get is the contents of d:\temp\dir1 going to c:\temp not the
directory itself. Since there are many subdirectories in d:\temp I
don't want to just copy d:\temp to c:\temp.

I tried calling XCOPY from Ant but that behaves the same way.

Any suggestions?

Thanks

David

Andrew Thompson

I'm trying to use the ant copy task to copy a directory plus all its
contents and subdirectories to a new directory e.g.

Source directory is d:\temp\dir1

Target directory is c:\temp

I want to execute the copy task on d:\temp\dir1 and end up with
c:\temp\dir1

<not sure>
Make the target directory "c:\temp\dir1" or "c:\temp\dir1\" ?
</not sure>

I am pretty sure that ANT offers either
- automatic directory creation, or..
- the ability to make the directory specifically.

As an aside, your use of file/directory naming appears 'suspicious'.
1) If a drive is 'C' - I strongly recommend you refer to it
as 'C', rether than 'c'. Remove possible errors before they are
encountered in some possibly fragile code.
2) A quick check of some of the ANT build.xml's on my
system, (largely obtained from folks that know what
they are doing), use the '/' consistently, and these
build files work just fine on Windows. I suggest you
use forward slashes.

So 'c:\temp\dir1' -> 'C:/temp/dir1'

HTH

dxd

Thanks Andrew,

I guess that might work (I'm at home tonight I'll try it in the office
tomorrow) but trouble is, I don't want to have to parse the source
directory to extract the name of the last directory then append it onto
the target directory. I'm not even sure if you could do this in Ant but
even if you can (and of course I could embed Javascript to do it) it
would look a real mess.

In fact I simplified my real code in my post, so I'm not concerned
about backslash versus forward slash, I do handle this OK in the
script.

It looks like it's just a limitation of both <copy> and xcopy, but a
bit of a pain!

David

dxd

This approach did work, but I ended up embedding javascipt (which I
didn't want to do, because I didn't want any dependency on additional
libraries) so that I could get the last name of the source folder and
construct the name of the target folder. Not very elegant!

David

Raymond DeCampo

(e-mail address removed) wrote:

Please do not top post on a thread where bottom posting has been the norm.
This approach did work, but I ended up embedding javascipt (which I
didn't want to do, because I didn't want any dependency on additional
libraries) so that I could get the last name of the source folder and
construct the name of the target folder. Not very elegant!

David

Did you try setting the context directory to be the parent directory of
the directory you want to copy and then include only the desired
directory via filters? That is, in high level language, tell ANT to
recursively copy all files/directories named "dir1" from D:/temp to C:/temp?

Ray

Joined
Jul 6, 2007
Messages
2
Reaction score
0
A solution to deep copy with ant COPY and includes="**/*"

Javascript? Really?! :trytofly: :wink:

This is an olde post but I found it when looking for a quick answer so here's a solution that works for me to do the "deep copy". Similar solution works for delete etc.

<target name="copySQLFiles">
<mkdir dir="${master.build.source.sql.dir}"/>
<copy todir="${master.build.source.sql.dir}">
<fileset dir="${master.source.sql.dir}" includes="**/*.sql" />
</copy>
</target>

You can of course start with use constant dirs instead of my ${} vars, say "C:/svn/myproductrepo" or leave out the .sql to copy all.

Joined
Jan 12, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
To copy directory with all its content just add a trailing slash, just like:
<copy todir="c:/temp/">
<fileset dir="c:/temp/dir1/"/>
</copy>