Any advantage to FormView?

David Thielen

Hi;

Is there any advantage to using FormView instead of just having 3 aspx
files, one each for view, update, and insert? You basically end up with 3
seperate forms (templates) inside FormView so it seems to me it doesn't make
much difference.

And I can't find a way to get access to any controls in the
<InsertItemTemplate> so seperate aspx files have the advantage in my case
that they work.

???

Christopher Reed

As I stated in another thread, there is no data available from the
InsertItemTemplate because it is what you're using to add the data to the
database.

David Thielen

Hi;

That wasn't my question here. My question was is there any advantage to
useing FormView.

As to the other part, I understand the controls won't have data in them
until they are filled in. My problem is that the controls themselves can't be
found (they are in the browser) and I need the MultiView and RadioButton to
set which view is displayed.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Dave,

IMO, FormView control help us make all the works done in a single page
instead of spreading it among mulptile pages, and sometimes it is much
easier to make the code logic and communication between different controls
on single page than among mulptile pages. Also, FormView can work well
with datasource control and provide some standard postback events which can
make our developing on such task more standardized.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

David Thielen

I haven't needed the communication between controls from different modes yet
- but that is a very good point.

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Actually, what I mean is we can make other controls on the same web page
communicate with Formview. Also, share status between different mode in
formview is also possible since in the same page they share the viewstate.