any debugger toolbar with IE?

zhong.zx

Hi,

I have used venkeman js debugger in firefox to debug the code first.
Until everything goes ok, I use IE to check compatiblity, but the IE
error info really make no sense :( really hate that!

Is there any toolbar can be plugged into IE to do further debug which
can help giving reasonal error/warning message? Instead of buy
tools like "splinetech JavaScript HTML Debugger".

Thank in advance!

Jason

bgulian

Is there any toolbar can be plugged into IE to do further debug which
can help giving reasonal error/warning message? Instead of buy
tools like "splinetech JavaScript HTML Debugger".

MS has a new tool called IEDevToolBar:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...64-672d-4511-bb3e-2d5e1db91038&DisplayLang=en

It is in beta but works pretty well with both IE6 and IE7. It has a
really nice DOM viewer. Unfortunately, it does not have a javascript
debugger. Contrary to what VK suggested, Windows Script Debugger
mostly hangs when you try to debug javascript running in IE. Visual
Studio 7's debugger surpasses Venkman but of course, it is very
expensive.

My personal experience is that obscure and misleading error messages
are why we javascript programmers make the big bucks <ironic pause>.
Even Venkman and Visual Studio don't help much with events and
out-of-function execution. There is a tool call ieDocMon (another DOM
viewer) that let's you monitor events in and out of any page object.
This has been helpful in the past and Full Source which lets you see
DHTML as well as HTML and helps you find where IE thinks "line 3227"
really is. It's like the Firefox Rendered Source Chart plugin except
not as pretty.

Bob Gulian

VK

Windows Script Debugger
mostly hangs when you try to debug javascript running in IE.

It doesn't hang - at least not "mostly" :) - but it has one very weird
behavior: if activated and sees an error on an external page, it pops
up with "Would you like to edit?". If you say no, it will popup with
this proposal over and over - this is what you must took for "hand up".
If you say yes (and what else left?) then it opens the editor just to
tell you that "This page is external and cannot be edited". This is why
you should always have the debugger off - unless you indeed debugging a
local script.
Microsoft Script Debugger was released only once (v 1.0) and I don't
think it will be ever released once again. Still for a lightweight tool
it's semi-good: and it's the only one - except Visual Studio tools -
integrated with JScript additional features ("Debug" object and
"debugger" statement).
Visual
Studio 7's debugger surpasses Venkman but of course, it is very
expensive.

1-year free trial of Visual Studio Express (Windows XP only) is
powerful enough for scripting demands:
<http://msdn.microsoft.com/vstudio/express/>