Buggy IE installation?

webEater

I have some problems with my IE 6 (and IE 5.5 separate) installation,
that I still (have to :-() use for website testing. 3 problems:

- IE 6 and even IE 7 (when I install standalone version) don't show
error dialogues any more. The error dialogue appears usually as popup
or when I click on the yellow traingle in the lower left corner (if
there's an error). I think this problem correlates with the security
setting level. IE 7 has just the levels middle -- high. After having
overwritten IE 6 with a normal IE 7 installation and then having
deinstalled it again, some features have stayed on, like that
navigator.userAgent is still IE 7, the security levels and the new
icon.

- More specific problem, if I use IE 5.5 where the errors still can pop
up: The indicated file is every time the main document, but not the
actual JS file where the error is thrown. I posted this question some
time ago, nobody could help me - IE toolbar does not help and any other
tools from Microsoft don't help me. What can I do to find my IE (not
FF) errors quicklier?

- Main problem: IE 5/6 use ActiveX instead of XMLHttpRequest. Could
someone test for me the following file until I have not solved problems
1 and 2? This is the file:
http://aka-fotos.de/research/uniajax/httprequest.php
Please click on the button labeled with "Normal Request" and then wait
what your IE does. You will see in the gray box on the right hand a
result text for test purpose. My IE 6 shows:

RESULT:

browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1;
InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
type: [object]
responseText: true
responseXML:

-------

I would like to know what your IE shows, it would be great help for me!

------

I hope that you can help me solving the problems (which are probably
yours, too), thank you,-)

Andi

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,
I have some problems with my IE 6 (and IE 5.5 separate) installation,
that I still (have to :-() use for website testing. 3 problems:

- IE 6 and even IE 7 (when I install standalone version) don't show
error dialogues any more. The error dialogue appears usually as popup
or when I click on the yellow traingle in the lower left corner (if
there's an error). I think this problem correlates with the security
setting level. IE 7 has just the levels middle -- high. After having
overwritten IE 6 with a normal IE 7 installation and then having
deinstalled it again, some features have stayed on, like that
navigator.userAgent is still IE 7, the security levels and the new
icon.

In IE6, check the "Tools / Internet Options / Advanced / Display a
notification about every script error". I didn't install IE7 yet, sorry.

- More specific problem, if I use IE 5.5 where the errors still can pop
up: The indicated file is every time the main document, but not the
actual JS file where the error is thrown. I posted this question some
time ago, nobody could help me - IE toolbar does not help and any other
tools from Microsoft don't help me. What can I do to find my IE (not
FF) errors quicklier?

Unfortunately, that's a fact of life that error display in IE is very
bad and not precise. You have two alternatives:

1) Code standard and use FF to debug using the JavaScript console
2) If you really need to debug in IE only, install a IE compatible
script debugger. My personal favorite is Visual Studio 2005, which comes
in a free version too. When a script error occurs in IE, you'll be asked
if you want to debug using the installed script debugger, and it will
take you right to the error place.
- Main problem: IE 5/6 use ActiveX instead of XMLHttpRequest. Could
someone test for me the following file until I have not solved problems
1 and 2? This is the file:
http://aka-fotos.de/research/uniajax/httprequest.php
Please click on the button labeled with "Normal Request" and then wait
what your IE does. You will see in the gray box on the right hand a
result text for test purpose. My IE 6 shows:

RESULT:

browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 7.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1;
InfoPath.2; .NET CLR 1.1.4322)
type: [object]
responseText: true
responseXML:

In my IE6.0.2900.2180.xpsp_sp2_gdr.050301-1519:

RESULT:

browser: Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1; SV1; .NET
CLR 1.1.4322; .NET CLR 2.0.50727; .NET CLR 3.0.04307.00)
type:
responseText: true
response as JSON: function parseQuery: function() { var pairs =
this.match(/^\??(.*)$/)[1].split('&'); return pairs.inject({}, func
function inspect: function(useDoubleQuotes) { var escapedString =
this.replace(/\\/g, '\\\\'); if (useDoubleQu function camelize:
function() { var oStringList = this.split('-'); if (oStringList.length
== 1) return oStringL function toArray: function() { return
this.split(''); } function toQueryParams: function() { var pairs =
this.match(/^\??(.*)$/)[1].split('&'); return pairs.inject({}, func
function unescapeHTML: function() { var div =
document.createElement('div'); div.innerHTML = this.stripTags();
function escapeHTML: function() { var div =
document.createElement('div'); var text = document.createTextNode(thi
function evalScripts: function() { return
this.extractScripts().map(function(script) { return eval(script) }); }
function extractScripts: function() { var matchAll = new
RegExp(Prototype.ScriptFragment, 'img'); var matchOne = new function
stripScripts: function() { return this.replace(new
RegExp(Prototype.ScriptFragment, 'img'), ''); } function stripTags:
function() { return this.replace(/<\/?[^>]+>/gi, ''); } function strip:
function() { return this.replace(/^\s+/, '').replace(/\s+$/, ''); }
function truncate: function(length, truncation) { length = length || 30;
truncation = truncation === undefined function scan: function(pattern,
iterator) { this.gsub(pattern, iterator); return this; } function gsub:
function(pattern, replacement) { var result = '', source = this, match;
replacement = argume
responseXML:

I would like to know what your IE shows, it would be great help for me!

Not really. Developing with IE is very possible nowadays with a god
script debugger. You should have seen how it was with IE4 ;-)

Laurent

webEater

Hi,

notification about every script error". I didn't install IE7 yet, sorry.

OK, I had checked this box already. So I think it's because of IE7. I
remember it having been working some time ago.
bad and not precise. You have two alternatives:

1) Code standard and use FF to debug using the JavaScript console
2) If you really need to debug in IE only, install a IE compatible
script debugger. My personal favorite is Visual Studio 2005, which comes
in a free version too. When a script error occurs in IE, you'll be asked
if you want to debug using the installed script debugger, and it will
take you right to the error place.

I gonna try this out.
[...]

To your last response: I see that responseXML shows nothing - like in
my IE6. So I think IE6 is not able to read xml out of the response.
script debugger. You should have seen how it was with IE4 ;-)

IE 4 was a really good browser - in contrast to netscape 4, which was a
browser with an own language ,)

Thank you for your help!

Andi

http://run.aka-fotos.de
http://akidee.de/

Randy Webb

webEater said the following on 11/14/2006 4:21 AM:
OK, I had checked this box already. So I think it's because of IE7. I
remember it having been working some time ago.

If you didn't get error dialogs with IE7 (or even IE6) then something
went bad wrong with the install. I have IE7 and have never had a problem
getting error dialogs from it.