Any Java books aimed at the Android platform?

asdf

(or Android books aimed at the Java illiterate?)

Hello there, I need some suggestions on a good book about Java
programming on the Android platform. All books I have seen on various
shops fall into two categories:
1- Java generic books that will teach everything about the language,
typically in a PC/Web environment.
2- Android books that will assume you're a fluent Java programmer.

The former category isn't for me. Ok, let's just say I'm one of those
Java haters who would use it under Android only because he's forced to
(no flames please, they would go to /dev/null anyway). The latter
requires some knowledge I still haven't.

What I need is the 3rd category, a book for people who are indeed
interested in the Android platform but would keep using other languages
outside of it. This book should leave out all that stuff that isn't
important or supported under Android but otherwise would be necessary
when developing on other (bigger) platforms. Does a book like that exist?

Thanks for any suggestions

Arne Vajhøj

[...]

If you go to amazon.com and enter android as search term in books
category, then there seems to be plenty of android specific books.

Arne

Jim Janney

asdf said:
(or Android books aimed at the Java illiterate?)

Hello there, I need some suggestions on a good book about Java
programming on the Android platform. All books I have seen on various
shops fall into two categories:
1- Java generic books that will teach everything about the language,
typically in a PC/Web environment.
2- Android books that will assume you're a fluent Java programmer.

The former category isn't for me. Ok, let's just say I'm one of those
Java haters who would use it under Android only because he's forced to
(no flames please, they would go to /dev/null anyway). The latter
requires some knowledge I still haven't.

Other than generics, Java the language is reasonably small, simple,
and easy to learn. It's mainly all the associated libraries that make
it seem big and complicated. I would just pick a book in category 1
that appealed to me and skip the chapters on Swing, web development,
etc. Do learn how to use collections, though, those are useful
everywhere.
What I need is the 3rd category, a book for people who are indeed
interested in the Android platform but would keep using other languages
outside of it. This book should leave out all that stuff that isn't
important or supported under Android but otherwise would be necessary
when developing on other (bigger) platforms. Does a book like that exist?

I haven't looked, but my guess would be probably not, because most of
the target audience will already know Java. It's been around a long
time and isn't particularly hard to learn.

Lew

Jim said:
Other than generics, Java the language is reasonably small, simple,
and easy to learn. It's mainly all the associated libraries that make
it seem big and complicated. I would just pick a book in category 1
that appealed to me and skip the chapters on Swing, web development,
etc. Do learn how to use collections, though, those are useful
everywhere.

Between the free chapter of Joshua Bloch's /Effective Java/ available from

<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/effective/>
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/effective/generics.pdf>

and Brian Goetz's excellent articles at IBM Developerworks

<https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/>
<https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...earchScope=dW&query=Brian+Goetz&Search=Search>

generics are not very hard to learn at all.

Well, advanced generics can get tricky, but advanced anything can get tricky.

You should understand the basics of generics if you want full power from
collections.

Jim Janney

Lew said:
Between the free chapter of Joshua Bloch's /Effective Java/ available from

<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/effective/>
<http://java.sun.com/docs/books/effective/generics.pdf>

and Brian Goetz's excellent articles at IBM Developerworks

<https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/java/>
<https://www.ibm.com/developerworks/...earchScope=dW&query=Brian+Goetz&Search=Search>

generics are not very hard to learn at all.

Well, advanced generics can get tricky, but advanced anything can get tricky.

You should understand the basics of generics if you want full power
from collections.

The trouble with generics is that a lot of things that look reasonable
turn out not to work for reasons that are hard to understand without a
fairly deep knowledge of how generics are implemented. And once you
start tossing words like "erasure" and "reification" around you're out
of beginner territory.

But yes, a lot of common cases work as one would expect and if you can
stick to those then generics are simple enough.