Anyone compiled VIM 7.3 with 1.9.2 support?

Discussion in 'Ruby' started by Ned, Jun 9, 2011.

  1. Ned

    Ned Guest

    Ned, Jun 9, 2011

  2. Ned

    Stu Guest

    Hi Ned

    I have vim compiled with ruby support. Did you have a specific
    question? If you are new to compiling your own software I would be
    willing to help you but I first need to know a bit about the system
    your running. Are you running a Linux distro or *BSD? Is ruby already
    on your system? Do you have gcc installed?

    ~Stu

    Stu, Jun 10, 2011

  3. Kresimir Bojcic, Jun 10, 2011
  4. Ned

    Ned Guest

    Thanks for the replies Stu and Kresimir

    I followed the blog post. However I'm on OSX.

    I had to install lua (http://devthought.com/2009/03/17/how-to-install-
    lua-5-in-mac-os-x-leopard/)

    But still got stuck on this error:

    dyld: Symbol not found: _environ
    Referenced from: /Users/neezer/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/
    libruby.1.9.1.dylib
    Expected in: flat namespace
    in /Users/neezer/.rvm/rubies/ruby-1.9.2-p0/lib/libruby.1.9.1.dylib

    Looks like this is a known issue .... "Vim 7.2 does not support the
    integration of Ruby 1.9.x on Snow Leopard."

    http://webcache.googleusercontent.c...s/6114380/trying-to-compile-vim-on-os-x+"dyld

    So I've given up compiling myself. However the suggestion to use
    MacPorts is a good one, and it is working now. Although I'm not a
    MacPorts fan, it's saved me lots of pain! Would still love 7.3 and
    1.9.2 to configure correctly on Snow Leopard, but doesn't seem like a
    priority for the VIM team just now

    thanks!

    Ned, Jun 10, 2011
  5. Ned

    Stu Guest

    Hi Ned

    I have a mac system here also. I don't know why vim on macports is still pr=
    e-7.3

    In fact it's pretty old as they had the patch-level over 400 before
    they desired to increment the version.

    Is there a specific reason you need the newer version?

    If I have time later I'll test it on my system and write simple
    instructions on how to compile it by hand.

    ~Stu

    Stu, Jun 10, 2011