Apache Axis JRun 3.1 User Authentication Fails

Peter

I recently installed Apache Axis 1.1 on a JRun 3.1 application server
and I am attempting to run the Axis example located in the
samples/stock folder.

If I run the sample using a SimpleAxisServer (i.e., not JRun) as the
readme file suggests, the example works well as long as the users.lst
file is located in the folder where I started my SimpleAxisServer.
The users.lst file contains a list of valid username/passwords used by
Axis' basic authentication.

When I attempt to use my JRun server to run the sample, the service is
deployed successfully but any method requiring user authentication
fails with the following error:

C:\Program Files\Allaire\JRun\servers\default\axis\samples\stock>java
samples.stock.GetQuote -uuser1 -wpass1 XXX
AxisFault
faultCode: {http://xml.apache.org/axis/}HTTP
faultSubcode:
faultString: (401)Unauthorized
faultActor:
faultNode:
faultDetail:
{}string: return code: 401
<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<soapenv:Envelope
<soapenv:Body>
<soapenv:Fault>
<faultcode xmlns:ns1="http://xml.apache.org/axis/">ns1:Server.Unauthenticated</faultcode>
<faultstring>User 'null' not authenticated
(unknown user)</faultstring>
<detail/>
</soapenv:Fault>
</soapenv:Body>
</soapenv:Envelope>

(401)Unauthorized
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.readFromSocket(HTTPSender.java:630)
at org.apache.axis.transport.http.HTTPSender.invoke(HTTPSender.java:128)
at org.apache.axis.strategies.InvocationStrategy.visit(InvocationStrategy.java:71)
at org.apache.axis.SimpleChain.doVisiting(SimpleChain.java:150)
at org.apache.axis.client.AxisClient.invoke(AxisClient.java:180)
at samples.stock.GetQuote.getQuote(GetQuote.java:120)
at samples.stock.GetQuote.main(GetQuote.java:134)

It is important to note that I get this same error using the
aforementioned SimpleAxisServer if the users.lst file is NOT located
in the folder where I started my SimpleAxisServer. This would imply,
perhaps, that my users.lst file is not where JRun wants it to be.
After many attempts, placing the users.lst file everywhere, I have not
been able to get it to work.

Can anyone tell me what I am doing wrong? In what JRun folder should
the users.lst be located?

Any and all help greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Peter Desjardins

Oh, and here's a hint for anyone else trying to install Apache Axis
1.1 on a JRun 3.1 server:

Change the jrun.classpath value found in the 'C:\Program
Files\Allaire\JRun\lib\global.properties' file so that a reference to
the location of your XML parser jar files (e.g., xercesImpl.jar) is
listed before the '{jrun.rootdir}/lib/ext' reference.

analogueboy

JRun 4 (a vastly improved/changed/useable product) has axis built in. I
assume that you are using 3.1, which is a thoroughly useless application
server, because you or your company cannot simply upgrade (could be wrong,
but IIRC from when i used to work with JRUN daily, the licenses could be
migrated). You could download a copy, though, and see how MM themselves have
solved the user problem?

Peter

analogueboy said:
JRun 4 (a vastly improved/changed/useable product) has axis built in. I
assume that you are using 3.1, which is a thoroughly useless application
server, because you or your company cannot simply upgrade (could be wrong,
but IIRC from when i used to work with JRUN daily, the licenses could be
migrated). You could download a copy, though, and see how MM themselves have
solved the user problem?

Thanks for responding.

I am aware that JRun 4 has Axis built in. Unfortunately, my client
does not wish to incur the additional cost to upgrade to this improved
version of the product ($499/cpu + time to port apps...).

Your suggestion to download Jrun 4 and examine it's implementation of
Axis for clues is a good one - this will be my next step.

In the meantime, has anyone installed Apache Axis on a JRun 3.1 server
and successfully demonstrated basic authenticaton?

Any and all help much appreciated.

Peter

Peter

Here's an update...

I installed JRun 4 but it provided me with no clues to solve my JRun
3.1/Axis problem.

Wish me luck.

Peter