App_Code output not included in setup

John

Hi,

I have a web project, that includes an App_Code folder - code in this folder
gets built into a dll, but I have no control over the name of this dll.

If I create a web setup project, all the content files, and the dll's from
any libraries used by my project all end up in the setup output, but the
App_Code dll does not. How do I get this dll included in the setup so it can
be installed with the rest of my code?

Thanks
Regards
John

bruce barker \(sqlwork.com\)

the aspnet compiler builds the app code into a dll it places in the bin
folder of the target dir.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

John

Yes it does on my development machine, or when I do a Publish from within
Visual Studio, but if I build a Web Setup project it doesn't get included in
the project outputs, so doesn't get installed.

John

Juan T. Llibre

You could manually compile the helper files you have in App_Code,
and place *that* in the /bin directory.

The Web setup project *will* pick it up.

Guest

John,
If this kind of behavior bothers you (it bothered me!) then switch to the
Web Application Project add-in and your projects will all behave like VS.NET
2003, with a single assembly in the /bin folder.
Peter

John

If I manually publish my web site before I build the setup program, then I
can include the App_Code.dll generated by the publish in my setup.

How do I get the build of the setup program to automatically do a publish as
part of the build process ?

John

What I needed was the web deployment add-in - this combines the output dll's
into one which I can then install.

The Web Application project looks much better though, as it also allows
debugging of multiple web-projects in a solution. I'll look at porting my
project to this.

Thanks
John

Joined
Mar 28, 2011
Messages
1
Reaction score
0
App_Code.dll

For completion,

Go to Property Pages of your Web Deployment project, Click 'OutputAssemblies' from the tree view and select 'Merge each individual folder output to its own assembly' radio button. It work for me.

The output Bin folder now contained App_Code.dll, App_global.asax.dll and App_GlobalResources.dll.

HTH