Applets in Internet-Explorer

arch

Hello,

im really frustrated at the moment handling a java-applet i programmed.
The applet itself works fine, but it just runs in some browsers. En
Detail it works in Opera, Mozilla/Netscape, Firefox... but i doesnt run
in any version of the Internet Explorer. Without any Error-Message, by
the way. It still happens nothing.
My personal Idea is that there might be something wrong with the
HTML-Code i use - and that i might include some special tags for using
the Internet-Explorer - but i dont know exactly what the problem is and
i didnt find any special ideas in my favorite search-engine.
So my question is if there`s somebody arround with experiences in
applet-programming (or applet-using) in the Internet-Explorer -
somebody with an idea what is wrong with my HTML-Code. I`ll attach the
code to this posting.

Thanks a lot

Martin

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">
<head>
content="text/html; charset=iso-8859-1">
content="Mozilla/4.7 [de] (Win98; I) [Netscape]">
<title>Titeldadueued</title>
</head>

<h3>bla</h3>

blubb<br>
The Java applet is >2MB, so please be patient ... will open in separate
window.

<OBJECT

classid =" clsid:8AD9C840-044E-11D1-B3E9-00805F499D93"
width="200" height="200" align="baseline">

<PARAM NAME="code" VALUE="esda_main.CommonGISApplet.class">
<PARAM NAME="archive"
VALUE="CommonGIS_AHPv5_0.jar,lib/Proxy4j.jar">
<PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet">
<PARAM NAME="Application" VALUE="data/health/health.app">
<PARAM NAME="scriptable" VALUE="false">

<COMMENT>
<EMBED
type="application/x-java-applet"
width="200" height="200" align="baseline"
code="esda_main.CommonGISApplet.class"
archive="CommonGIS_AHPv5_0.jar,lib/Proxy4j.jar"
Application = "data/health/health.app">
<NOEMBED>
alt="Your browser understands the &lt;APPLET&gt; tag but
isn't running the applet, for some reason."
Your browser is completely ignoring the &lt;APPLET&gt; tag!
</NOEMBED>
</EMBED>
</COMMENT>

</OBJECT>

cwdjrxyz

arch said:
[...]

The above is an ActiveX object and works only for browsers that support
AX, mainly IE and close relatives. Since your problem is with IE, very
carefully check everything through the last parameter tag that goes
along with this ActiveX object. One tiny error or bit of hidden junk in
that very long AX hex classid will kill everything. So erase this and
reenter the correct one for an applet, even if this means typing by
hand. I also notice a space between the quote mark and the start of the
clsid. I am not sure if this will cause a problem, but try removing
this space.

Also, ActiveX can be turned off on many Windows OS-IE browser combos.
Some update may have turned AX off, and you then have to turn it back
on after the update if you want ActiveX support. So make sure your
ActiveX is turned on if you are using the mentioned Microsoft combo.
<PARAM NAME="code" VALUE="esda_main.CommonGISApplet.class">
<PARAM NAME="archive"
VALUE="CommonGIS_AHPv5_0.jar,lib/Proxy4j.jar">
<PARAM NAME="type" VALUE="application/x-java-applet">
<PARAM NAME="Application" VALUE="data/health/health.app">
<PARAM NAME="scriptable" VALUE="false">

<COMMENT>

The below embed path is taken if an ActiveX is not supported on the
browsers. This is awful, invalid html as embed has never been an
official part of W3C html, but this method does work on many browsers
that do not support AX and is much used. This is the case for Mozilla
family(Firefox, Mozilla, Netscape, Seamonkey) and Opera unless
unofficial ActiveX support is added to these browsers, which is rarely
the case except sometimes for the WMP player. Since your page is
working for some of the browsers mentioned, the embed branch seems to
be working.

cwdjrxyz

cwdjrxyz said:
[...]

I suggest that you read
http://java.sun.com/j2se/1.4.2/docs/guide/plugin/developer_guide/using_tags.html
.. This explains in detail how the ActiveX object and embed path are
use. It also compares this type of code with earlier types. This might
help explain some comments concerning your post in the German java
group. You will notice that two values of classid are mentioned, and
they are used for different situations. The classid you used appears to
be one of the mentioned ones.

arch

thx 4 help, cwdjrxyz - it works now the way i want it to work. i didnt
know the background of the <embed>tag and i`m a bit surprised bout
that. anyhow, i got a new area to become familiar with - activex, its
sense and how and where it could (or should?) be working ;)

Have a nice day

Martin