Application in sandbox

Tim Tyler

Sudsy said:
Tim Tyler wrote:

[Re: most Un*x users have a grip with Java not being true
Open Source Software]
Guess what? The government can exercise their right of "eminent domain"
and take your land anyway. So your analogy is either very good or very
bad, depending on your point of view. :)

If you don't trust the government to act in your best interests -
you can usually emigrate.

Similarly, if you don't trust Sun not to eat up your bottom line -
by actions such as charging J2ME licensees fees to implement their
specifications - you can always use something other than Java.

dar7yl

Tim Tyler said:
I made no mention of .NET.

The competitors of Java under slightly more liberal licenses are
things like Python and PHP.

Simple: because Java is owned by Sun.

My problem with Sun "owning" Java is that they do not have the sense of
responsibility for it that us lowly developers would like to see.

I'm speaking of their lack of enthusiasm for fixing long-standing bugs.
Some have been open for over 3 years. (see
http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=4521075 )

Other bugs, less important to me and most, but important to some, are exiled
to obscurity, sometimes to be taken up by a concerted group of open-sourced
volunteers who fix the problems and release new libraries. (see
https://winlaf.dev.java.net/release_0.5.html ) We are appreciative of this
effort, but wish that we didn't have to clutter up our installations with
all those superfluous archives.

We all applauded when Java 5 (was that 1.5? 2.0? or what?) came out, but it
was far too late for us to use on our project. New projects probably won't
get started in Java 5 in the near future, because critical inertia has been
lost. A year ago, we were chomping on the bit to use the new language
features. Now, why bother?

regards,
Dar7yl

Intel Inside

Oh I am surprised, I didn't know .Not and C# were open source projects, Oh
that's right, they're not...
Nobody in their right mind wants to build their house on land
owned by someone else.

Thanks for the tip Tim, I'd better stop development using the .Not platform
asap.