Application_Start event does not fire on restart of IIS?

Morten Overgaard

Hi Sirs.

We are facing weird problems using a web service written in C#.
When the web service application is started we have some startup code in the
Application_Start event in the Global.asax file.
The first time it behaves as expected - but when I restart ( Stop then
Start) the Webserver ( through MMC ) in which this webservice is running I
expect the Application_Start event to fire again but it doesn't??? The only
way I can get the Application_start to fire again is to kill the
aspnet_wp.exe proces ( it starts it self again ).

The problem is that I need to read a file on start up of the application -
and I thought that a "Stop then Start" of the webserver would make the
Application_Start event happen again - but obviously it doesn't. Anybody
knows how to solve this??

Regards Morten

Lewis Wang [MSFT]

Hi Morten,

Application_Start fires when the first user hits your Web site, and
Application_End fires when the last user in the site's session times out.
The Application object exists in the server's memory until the web
server(not website) stops or until you modify or refresh the global.asax
file. You may right click the machine name in the MMC, and select "Restart
IIS" to make the webserver restart.

You may check the following article for more information.
Application State
l/cpconapplicationstate.asp

Hope this helps.

Best regards,