Array of constrained integers in port using generic

Discussion in 'VHDL' started by g_edit_here_thorpe, Jan 18, 2005.

  1. Hi,

    I am trying to use an array of integers as an input to an entity. The number of
    integers in the array is determined from a generic, but the integer values
    should also be constrained by the generic.

    For example:

    entity ex0 is
    generic(n : natural := 4);
    port(
    input1 : in integer range 0 to n-1;
    input2 : in std_ulogic_vector(n-1 downto 0);
    input3 : in array(n-1 downto 0) of integer range 0 to n-1;
    output : std_ulogic
    );
    end entity ex0;

    Inputs 1 & 2 will work, but 3 will produce a parse error (I know it is
    incorrect, but it shows what I want to do). How can this be accomplished? Can
    this be accomplished?

    I understand that if I do not constrain the integers, they will be set to
    32-bits each which will be a lot of extra wiring (it will also make
    elaborating the design longer?) and wasted resources on bits that won't be
    used. I cannot define types because the size of integer really does depend on
    the generic (such as for input 1).

    g_edit_here_thorpe, Jan 18, 2005

  2. g_edit_here_thorpe

    zingafriend Guest

    looks like there is no other way than implementing a package.

    -Neo

    zingafriend, Jan 18, 2005

  3. As long as the signal connected to this port consists of an array of
    constrained integers, I would not expect a lot of extra wiring. The
    synthesizer (assuming that is what you meant with wiring) would take
    into account the width of the signal connected. At least, that is what I
    would expect.
    I wouldn't worry about that too much. I do not know if integers with a
    limited range really would occupy less bytes. I would expect only the
    run time check to be affected by the range, not the size itself.
    Yup, so a package cannot be used.

    As said above, I would go for the array of unconstrained integers in the
    port definition, and an array of constrained integers for the signal
    declaration.

    Paul.

    Paul Uiterlinden, Jan 18, 2005
  4. Thanks for responding.

    It won't create extra wiring outside of the entity, but what about the
    complexity inside? The extra wires will be synthesized and the entity will be
    more complex than it would have to be (32 wires vs. 3 or 4 for each
    integer, there are about 12 integers). I cannot use any other types even (for
    example a std_ulogic_vector), because the both the size of the
    array and the types in the array are constrained by the generic parameter.

    I think that unconstrained integers must at least be 32-bits long as required
    by IEEE standards or the language itself. If I don't constrain the sizes, the
    compiler will have to make them 32-bits long. This will make the compile take
    much longer and the end result will have more wires than it needs. I am a
    student, but it seems that in a real design this would be undesirable.

    For a port, the compiler has to know the sizes at compile-time: even if the
    entity higher up in the hierarchy does not use all 32-bits, I fear that this
    entity will be created with a massive number of wires for its inputs.
    Does VHDL support something like an anonymous type or types defined within the
    context of the entity itself?
    I may have to do that, or re-approach what the arbiter will need to make it's
    decision.

    gt_trysnip_horpe, Jan 18, 2005
  5. g_edit_here_thorpe

    gthorpe Guest

    Hi,

    Thanks for the suggestion. I think that because I want to declare an array of
    items that are constrained by the generic in the entity, I cannot declare the
    type in a package (the generic is only defined within the scope of the entity).

    Can you create types with generics in VHDL? That would help in my case...

    gthorpe, Jan 18, 2005
  6. What about breaking the 2D-array down to a 1D-vector ((n-1)*n downto 0)?
    This would also be better, if the code is going to be synthesized.

    Ralf

    Ralf Hildebrandt, Jan 18, 2005
  7. g_edit_here_thorpe

    gthorpe Guest

    That would work for std_(u)logic_vector, or bit_vector, but I don't see how I
    can do it for integer types: the constraint just says how many values it can
    hold, not how many bits it contains.

    gthorpe, Jan 18, 2005
  8. They will be optimized away, I would expect. Just give it a try and see
    what you get. If it is not to your liking, then it is time to see what
    else must be done.
    Why do you say that? Have you actually seen this happening?
    Just give it a try and observe the result.
    There is a declaritive region in the entity declaration (see
    http://www.iis.ee.ethz.ch/~zimmi/download/vhdl93_syntax.html, under
    entity_declaration), but I have never used that. You could put type
    declarations there, but I have no idea whether that is supported by
    synthesizers. Normally you would put declarations of types that are used
    in the port of an entity in a package and make that package visible by a
    use clause in front of the entity declaration. This is the preferred way
    anyway, because you not only need the types in the entity declaration,
    you also need them in the component instantiation.

    Paul.

    Paul Uiterlinden, Jan 19, 2005
  9. g_edit_here_thorpe

    Alan Fitch Guest

    Another approach you can try is to create a package containing a
    constant, e.g.

    constant N : POSITIVE := 10;
    subtype myIntT is INTEGER range 0 to N-1;
    subtype mySULT is std_ulogic_vector(N-1 downto 0);

    and then use N and the subtypes on your entity, e.g.

    entity ex0 is
    port (
    input1 : in myIntT;
    input2 : in mySLUT;
    input3 : in array (N-1 downto 0) of myIntT;
    )

    However I guess you don't want to do this as you'd have to
    edit the constant for each different entity (i.e. you can't
    set the constant per entity like you can for a generic).

    Can you avoid your parse error by using two generics which have to
    have the same value? You could then do

    entity ex0 is
    generic(n : natural := 4; m : natural := 4);
    port(
    input1 : in integer range 0 to n-1;
    input2 : in std_ulogic_vector(n-1 downto 0);
    input3 : in array(n-1 downto 0) of integer range 0 to m-1;
    output : std_ulogic
    );

    and add an assert that n=m (you never know, it might work!).

    Can you avoid the parse error by using 'REVERSE_RANGE, e.g.

    port(
    input1 : in integer range 0 to n-1;
    input2 : in std_ulogic_vector(n-1 downto 0);
    input3 : in array(n-1 downto 0) of integer input2'REVERSE_RANGE;
    output : std_ulogic
    );

    What exactly is the parse error that you are getting?

    kind regards
    Alan

    --
    Alan Fitch
    Consultant

    DOULOS - Developing Design Know-how
    VHDL * Verilog * SystemC * Perl * Tcl/Tk * Verification * Project
    Services

    Doulos Ltd. Church Hatch, 22 Market Place, Ringwood, Hampshire, BH24
    1AW, UK
    Tel: +44 (0)1425 471223 mail:

    Fax: +44 (0)1425 471573 Web:
    http://www.doulos.com

    the
    views of Doulos Ltd., unless specifically stated.

    Alan Fitch, Jan 19, 2005
  10. Then convert it to std_(u)logic_vector for the entity and if you really
    need integers convert it back in the architecture.

    Note: Often synthesis tools are configured, to change every I/O signal
    to std_logic_vector xor std_ulogic_vector. So if you are going to
    synthesize your design you have to convert all I/O signals anyway - if
    your sythesis tool is configured as I said.

    I for my own prefer std_ulogic_vector for all signals and do conversion
    only if I really need them. This makes it easier to see unnessecary
    hardware overhead.

    Ralf

    Ralf Hildebrandt, Jan 19, 2005