Article of interest (?): Why Ruby on Rails Succeeded

Phlip

estherschindler said:
Whatever you think of Ruby on Rails technically -- even if you prefer
another language or development framework -- you do have to admit that
Rails has gained huge acceptance in a short period of time. In this
CIO article, Hal Fulton, author of The Ruby Way, explains what the
programming community did right, and how others can learn from it.

http://www.cio.com/article/125851

Nice article.

One important point the author dances around is that many products owe their
market share to relentless marketing, not their quality. This implies that
a successful Free Software must be twice as good as a commercial one to be
thought half as good in the trade press.

Fortunately this isn't very difficult...

estherschindler

Whatever you think of Ruby on Rails technically -- even if you prefer
another language or development framework -- you do have to admit that
Rails has gained huge acceptance in a short period of time. In this
CIO article, Hal Fulton, author of The Ruby Way, explains what the
programming community did right, and how others can learn from it.

http://www.cio.com/article/125851

Hal Fulton

estherschindler said:
Whatever you think of Ruby on Rails technically -- even if you prefer
another language or development framework -- you do have to admit that
Rails has gained huge acceptance in a short period of time. In this
CIO article, Hal Fulton, author of The Ruby Way, explains what the
programming community did right, and how others can learn from it.

http://www.cio.com/article/125851

Oops, I didn't realize Esther had already posted this. Sorry
for double announcement.

Hal

Robert Dober

Oops, I didn't realize Esther had already posted this. Sorry
for double announcement.
Indeed you could have been more careful, now I have to read it *twice*!!!

Robert Dober

Hi --

DRIP DRY

Don't repeat it, period....
Hmm is this a subtle indication that maybe we are wasting a little bit
too much bandwith ;), I guess you are right.
RDDRRD
;) and out