    at an architectural level. It may be of interest to those who are
    familiar with J2EE and just getting up to speed on Rails.

    http://www-128.ibm.com/develop erworks/web/library/wa-rubyonr ails/

    Aaron Rustad, Jul 12, 2005

  2. Aaron  Rustad

    Bill Guindon Guest

    Bill Guindon, Jul 12, 2005

  3. Aaron  Rustad

    Bill Guindon Guest

    Finally got a chance to read it. Great stuff! =20

    Solid overview of how each stack works, along with a balanced
    comparison of the two. It also serves as a good introduction to their
    inner workings.

    Thx, much.
    =20
    --=20
    Bill Guindon (aka aGorilla)

    Bill Guindon, Jul 12, 2005
  4. Aaron  Rustad

    James Britt Guest

    How can an article claiming to discuss J2EE not mention EJBs? There is
    more to it than servlets and JSPs.

    Where's the comparison of doing transactions? Or distributed
    applications? Or connection pooling? Or message queues?

    James

    James Britt, Jul 13, 2005

  5. Agreed. The article seems to be a very cursory overview of how a
    couple of things are done. There is little mention of most of the EE
    aspects of J2EE, probably because they don't really have anything to
    compare to in Rails.

    Haven't there already been a hundred of this type of comparison
    between Rails and XXXX? When are we going to see articles covering
    something more interesting or in depth? And why is this categorized
    as an "Advanced" article?

    And not to pick nits, but the OP could have mentioned that he was the
    author of said article.

    Jason

    Jason Foreman, Jul 13, 2005
  6. ------=_Part_3025_14028087.1121261178876

    Our company made a decision to use Rails instead of J2EE. We use Rinda=20
    instead of message queues and have not yet found a need for distributed=20
    transactions(although that is one part that is missing) EJB's are wonderful=
    =20
    but really how are they different from models or correctly developed servic=
    e=20
    classes ?=20

    Mark

    ------=_Part_3025_14028087.1121261178876--

    Mark Alexander Friedgan, Jul 13, 2005
  7. Aaron  Rustad

    James Britt Guest

    It's not so much that one can find acceptable alternatives to these
    things in Ruby, but that the J2EE spec defines many things that have no
    counterpart in Rails. That one can roll their own code and add it to a
    Ruby app is obviously a good thing, but the article did not bother
    addressing theses things.

    Instead, the author looked at Rails, then found some approximate version
    of the same features in Java, and presented the latter as being J2EE. A
    better title might have been, "Ruby on Rails and Struts: Is there room
    for both?" But that's not as sexy.

    Such a comparison is useful and may encourage people to move from Java
    to Ruby. But people more familiar with J2EE may see this particular
    article as just more Rails hype, a biased, willfully-ignorant
    comparison, in which case Rails (and Ruby) come off looking bad.

    James

    James Britt, Jul 13, 2005