Anthony said:
Did you do the windows explorer test?

Sorry missed that !!

Tried it - got the following Error
---------------------------
Address Bar
---------------------------
Windows cannot find
'\\MSS-0135F8\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\'. Check the
spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start
button and then clicking Search.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Tried it with just the Device Name

Anthony Jones

p byers said:
Sorry missed that !!

Tried it - got the following Error
---------------------------
Address Bar
---------------------------
Windows cannot find
'\\MSS-0135F8\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\'. Check the
spelling and try again, or try searching for the item by clicking the Start
button and then clicking Search.
---------------------------
OK
---------------------------

Tried it with just the Device Name

In my example HOST file entry I had a typo in the device name. Did you
correct that?

Perhaps it would be better to put something less prone to typos in the HOSTS
file instead:-

192.168.1.110 mynas

then use a UNC like:-

\\mynas\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\

p byers

Anthony said:
In my example HOST file entry I had a typo in the device name. Did you
correct that?

Perhaps it would be better to put something less prone to typos in the HOSTS
file instead:-

192.168.1.110 mynas

then use a UNC like:-

\\mynas\pbyers\atest\ReConstituted_wwwroot\Data\common\

Didnt spot your typo

Have corrected it.

WHOOOOPPPEEE !!!

The VBS and the ASP works

Now I have got the file being opened !!

Next step before I go out and get drunk is to confirm that I can SELECT and
INSERT . . . .

Thank you Mister - you have made an Old Fart VERY VERY HAPPY

Pete (Northolt UK)

Bob Milutinovic

Anthony Jones said:
How is that done exactly? I've never been able to convince IIS to use a
mapped drive, I'm not sure how a service would get to see one.

NET USE <drive> <sharename> /PERSISTENT:YES

But having said that, I'll admit that I haven't tried accessing files on a
mapped drive using ASP.

I'd have thought though that the ASP engine simply uses the operating
system's file system, rather than handling access itself, so surely anything
visible to the operating system should also be available to ASP?

- Bob.

Anthony Jones

Bob Milutinovic said:
NET USE <drive> <sharename> /PERSISTENT:YES

But having said that, I'll admit that I haven't tried accessing files on a
mapped drive using ASP.

I'd have thought though that the ASP engine simply uses the operating
system's file system, rather than handling access itself, so surely
anything visible to the operating system should also be available to ASP?

Drive mapping is per user setting applied to interactive sessions. Its
possible to have two different users logged on simultaneously both with a
different set of mappings even using the same drive letters to point to
different services.

Persistent simply means automatically attempt to re-attached to the share
the next time the user logons on.