ASP and SQL Server 2005 Express

Anil Gupte

I am using the following to try to connect to the database, but it does not
seem to be working.

Dim sConnString
sConnString = "Provider=SQLNCLI.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
Info=False;Initial Catalog=MediaDB;Data Source=MEDIAMACHINE\SQLEXPRESS"
Connection.Open sConnString
Dim Recordset
Set Recordset=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Can someone tell me the correct syntax? The original syntax (which worked)
for an Access DB was as follows:
sConnString="PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Data Source=" &
Server.MapPath("/Music/DB/MediaDB.mdb")

TIA

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Anil said:
I am using the following to try to connect to the database, but it
does not seem to be working.

Dim sConnString
sConnString = "Provider=SQLNCLI.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist
Security Info=False;Initial Catalog=MediaDB;Data
Source=MEDIAMACHINE\SQLEXPRESS" Connection.Open sConnString
Dim Recordset
Set Recordset=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Can someone tell me the correct syntax? The original syntax (which
worked) for an Access DB was as follows:
sConnString="PROVIDER=Microsoft.Jet.OLEDB.4.0;" & "Data Source=" &
Server.MapPath("/Music/DB/MediaDB.mdb")
You really need to show us the error message, but i will say that I have had
little success connecting to SQL2005 with integrated security from ASP. I
would suggest creating a sql login on your server and using its user id and
password in your connection string instead of Integrated Security=SSPI

Anil Gupte

0xE7D:The connection cannot be used to perform this operation. It is either
closed or invalid in this context.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

So the "Connection.Open sConnString" statement didn't raise an error? I
don't see any code in which you tried to use the connection object. Neither
do I see a

Set Connection = Createobject("adodb.connection")

statement. Does one exist?

Anil Gupte

Yes, I have that earlier in the file
Dim Connection
Set Connection=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")

sConnString = "Provider=SQLNCLI.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
Info=False;Initial Catalog=iMedia;Data Source=IMEDIA/SQLEXPRESS"
' Tried both the above and the below - no luck
sConnString = "Provider=SQLOLEDB;Integrated Security=True;Initial
Catalog=IMEDIA;Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS"
Connection.Open sConnString
Dim Recordset 'Here we declare our variable that will hold our new object
Set Recordset=Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Recordset")

Thanx for your help

Anil Gupte

I also have now tried creating a DSN called Media and using:
sConnString = "DSN=Media"

Doesn't work.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

You still have yet to show us the line that produces that error. If the
Connection.Open statement does not throw an error, then there is nothing
wrong with your connection string. I do not blieve the Connection.Open
statement can throw that particular error ... wait ... "Connection" may be a
reserved keyword. Try calling your connection object "cn" or "conn" or
something like that.

The only other possibility is that the Connection.Open statement actually IS
throwing an error, but you have an "on error resume next" statement earlier
in your code that is masking te error. Make sure you comment out that
statement so you can see if the Open statement produces an error. If it
does, show us THAT error message.

Bob Barrows [MVP]

Jon said:
This is not actually an ASP question.

I'm not sure what makes you say that? I mean, he hasn't exactly shown us
enough to make that determination yet, at least IMHO.

Anil Gupte

Bob:

Sorry, you are right, I had the "On Error Resume Next", which I have now
commented out. Here are the various error messages - I am printing the
connection string at the top of each page.
*****************************
Provider=SQLOLEDB;Integrated Security=True;Initial Catalog=MEDIA;Data
Source=.\SQLEXPRESS
Provider error '80040e21'
Multiple-step OLE DB operation generated errors. Check each OLE DB status
value, if available. No work was done.
*****************************
DSN=Media
[Microsoft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][SQL Server]Cannot open database "iMedia"
requested by the login. The login failed.
*****************************
Provider=SQLNCLI.1;Integrated Security=SSPI;Persist Security
Info=False;Initial Catalog=iMedia;Data Source=MEDIA/SQLEXPRESS
Microsoft SQL Native Client error '80004005'
Named Pipes Provider: Could not open a connection to SQL Server [51].
*****************************
BTW, with the DSN above I tried both Windows Authentication and SQL User
Authentication. I also did the "Test Data Source" in both instances and it
works. I know it is some syntax problem because I am using this last
connection string succesfully with ASP.Net/C# and a VB.Net service both of
which I wrote and are on the same machine/same website.
All help is appreciated. Thanx,

Anil Gupte

I believe it is an ASP question because I can connect fine in other
languages including C#/ASP.Net and VB.Net It is only in ASP that the
connection strings are not working, so there must be a syntax issue.

Thanx,

Anil Gupte

Here is another:

Provider=SQLOLEDB;Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=Media;User
id=sa;Password=Abc
ADODB.Recordset error '800a0bb9'

Arguments are of the wrong type, are out of acceptable range, or are in
conflict with one another.

I also tried
Provider=SQLNCLI.1;Data Source=.\SQLEXPRESS;Initial Catalog=Media;User
id=sa;Password=Abc

Same error.

--
Anil Gupte
www.keeninc.net

M. Savas Zorlu

I have recently upsized my access db to MSSQL too and here is the
connection string I use and it is working fine. Might help:

strConnString="provider=sqloledb;server=SE\SQLEXPRESS;uid=USER;pwd=PASSWORD;database=DB;"

set my_Conn = Server.CreateObject("ADODB.Connection")
my_Conn.Errors.Clear

my_Conn.Open strConnString

Anil Gupte

Oh, Wow! This worked for me.

I also had one more mistake - I had changed the variable Connection to Conn
except in the
Recordset.Open SQL, Conn
statement