asp:Label - how can I get the Text property?

Steve Hershoff

I'm using VS 2003, and need to extract the text from an asp label in my
code-behind file. The label is part of a DataList's ItemTemplate.

I've noticed that in my ascx file (we're using User Controls here) I can't
set the Text property in the opening tag when writing out the
<asp:Label....</asp:Label> tags. I have to put my text between the opening
and closing tags, like you would with a regular HTML tag.

So this might be the cause of my trouble. What happens in my code-behind
file is I'm trapping the DataBound event on the label's "parent" datalist,
and doing the following:

//from DL_List_DataBound(object sender, DataListItemEventArgs e)

/.....

Label myLabel = (Label) e.Item.FindControl("labelFromASCX_page");

myLabel.Visible = true;
String myString = myLabel.Text;

//........

My problem is, the value of myLabel.Text is always equal to "" even though I
set it in the ascx file. How can I extract the label's text in my
code-behind?

Laurent Bugnion

Hi,

Steve said:
[...]

If you don't set the Text property of the label, but you write the
content between the closing and opening tag of the Label, I think it
doesn't set the text property, but rather it adds a literal control to
the Label. That would explain why the Text property is always empty.

Why can't you just set the Text property in the asp:Label tag?

HTH,
Laurent