ASP.NET 2.0 AppDomain recycling

John Rivers

Hi

Since upgrading one web app to 2.0 the AppDomain recycles whenever
there is a change in the bin folder

This results in a new AppDomain being created and a full recompilation
of the web app

This takes around 20 seconds and uses about 75% cpu in the process

On the production server this is not a problem as changes to the bin
folder are rare

But whilst I am developing - being forced to wait 20 seconds again and
again and again

is extremely frustrating and interfering with my productivity

ASP.NET 1.1 had a really useful (for me) bug/feature where you could
load the same DLL again and again

as there is no way to unload a managed DLL this is technically a
memory leak - but only whilst developing
thus once a day a simple IISRESET would solve the problem

ASP.NET 2.0 has been redesigned partly to avoid this memory leak
problem

And that is my problem - I *want* the memory leak as it means I can
work quickly

Does anybody know, or can anybody think of a way to stop this unwanted
AppDomain recycling?

3

3P

Dnia 13-10-2009 o 15:57:28 John Rivers said:
[...]

You should look at <compile optimizeCompilations="true" batch="false">

I'm not sure about batch attribute now. First one needs a special download
from MS. It isn't in ASP.NET by default. At least it wasn't in 2.0.