ASP.NET 3.5 AJAX and default error handler

Trapulo

Hello,
with ASP.NET 2.0 Ajax every unexpected error is managed client-side with a
popup that reports the error to the user. In ASP.NET 3.5 this behavor has
been changed: how can I have a similar behavor? I'd like that every
exception raised from ASP.NET runtime during an asyncpostback is managed in
client side with a popup that reports the error message.

thanks

George Ter-Saakov

I belive you have an event you can subscribe to.. So every time error
happens your Javascript function is called.

George.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Trapulo,

As for ASP.NET ajax, you can register the event hander for client-side load
events. One of them is "EndRequest" in which we can detect whether there is
any error during the AJAX request processing. Here is web article mentioned
this:

##How to improve ASP.NET AJAX error handling
http://encosia.com/2007/07/18/how-to-improve-aspnet-ajax-error-handling/

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

--------------------

Trapulo

This is interesting, thanks, but I'm not sure about this. The page you
refers says:
"the default behavior is that a browser message box is displayed with an
error message"

this is true in ASP.NET 2, but with ASP.NET 3.5 nothing is displaye when an
error occurs. Why? is this a problem in my application? I think it's by
design..
I'd like to manage errors with custom UI elements as your suggestion or
Steven's one says, but first of all I need to have the standard behavor:
when an exeption is raised, a message box is displayed to the user. Whitout
to write any specific code. How can I have this in ASP.NET 3.5?

thanks

Trapulo

Steven,
the improvement you suggest is interesting. But before to create custom
client side code, I'd like to re-enable the standard behavor I had working
with ASP.NET 2.0: when an error occurs, a message box is displayed with
exception's message. i don't have this starting from ASP.NET 3.5. Is this
possible? Is there some error in my applications, if I haven't this behavor
more?

thanks

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Trapulo,

As for the error handling behavior, I will consider consult some other
ASPNET ajax engineers on this. Would you create a very simple ajax project
with a test page demonstrate the behavior so that I can directly refer the
code to other engineers. You can send it to me ("stcheng_At_microsoft.com")

From: "Trapulo" <[email protected]>
Subject: Re: ASP.NET 3.5 AJAX and default error handler
Date: Fri, 18 Apr 2008 13:48:35 +0200

Trapulo

I'll send it in a minute.

Steven Cheng said:
Hi Trapulo,

As for the error handling behavior, I will consider consult some other
ASPNET ajax engineers on this. Would you create a very simple ajax project
with a test page demonstrate the behavior so that I can directly refer the
code to other engineers. You can send it to me
("stcheng_At_microsoft.com")

Sincerely,

Steven Cheng

Microsoft MSDN Online Support Lead

(e-mail address removed).

ications.

rights.

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Thanks Trapulo,

I've got it and have forwarded the question to other AJAX engineers to see
whether they have any further ideas on this.

From: "Trapulo" <[email protected]>
<[email protected]>

Steven Cheng [MSFT]

Hi Trapulo,

After discussing with some other AJAX engineer, for the AJAX update panel
error handling behavior ,they also recommend the error handling approach in
the below reference:

# "Handling Errors" section
http://asp.net/AJAX/Documentation/Live/overview/ScriptManagerOverview.aspx

seems the original error behavior is now changed to adopt those error
handling settings(rather than use a fixed default behavior).

From: (e-mail address removed) (Steven Cheng [MSFT])
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 07:48:03 GMT