ASP.NET ActiveX Object Windows API Access

StinkyDuck

I'm trying to determine if it is possible to create a ActiveX control which
would be deployed through IE that would provide access to the client
resources to control devices like barcode readers, printers, scales, mag
stripe readers etc. If the user is prompted to download and install the
ActiveX object that is ok.

Is this possible through .NET and ActiveX delivered via ASP.NET through a
browser? Do I need to look at some other technology to make this happen?
Any suggestions would be great.

-StinkyDuck

zzzxtreme

It doesnt matter if the delivery ASP.NET or PHP or HTML

to "execute" activeX dll (or .cab - compressed dll), u use <object>
tag in the HTML code

of course it can access barcode readers, printers, etcccc... , assume
activeX dll in the browser just like any other EXE application.

so, you'll need to write the DLL. I'm not sure if you could with .net,
but i've written some in the past with VB and Delphi. U need to lookup
how to write "ActiveX form" with .net

then, you may need to get digital signature for your dll. if not, by
default, IE will block the installation. Verisign digital signature is
about $400 (in the past) annually. I'm sure you can get cheaper from
others. it's something like ssl.

then when u have the dll, normally you must compress it as .cab. just
put on the webserver, and embed using <object> tag.

StinkyDuck

Is there a different alternative to ActiveX. I understand that ActiveX is
only supported in IE. Is there a technology other than ActiveX that
supports a great variety of browsers?

-StinkyDuck